World

Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed

0
Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed
Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed

Yemen faces nightmare: Aid agencies have expressed concern after the first case of coronovirus infection in Yemen. Yemen has been facing civil war for years due to which the condition of the health facilities there is terrible.

The non-governmental organization Oxfam called it a “great setback”, while the International Rescue Committee called it a “nightmare situation”. Yemen is facing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, and a large population is facing a food crisis. They depend entirely on food aid.

People living in Yemen are already experiencing a number of diseases, including cholera, dengue fever and malaria, and the most worrying is that half of the hospitals here are fully functioning.

Yemen ‘faces nightmare’ as first coronavirus case confirmed

Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed
Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed

The first case of COVID19 was confirmed in Yemen, a day after the announcement of a ceasefire by the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi rebels. The coalition forces said they wanted to help counter the coronavirus from spreading and support the United Nations’ efforts for peace.

Yemen’s National Emergency Committee said on Friday that the first patients of the coronavirus in Yemen are a 60-year-old man who hails from the oil-producing southern province of Hadramaut.

Giving information about the infected person, Emergency Committee spokesman Ali al-Walid said that he had been kept in the Quarantine Center, and his condition is stable at present.

According to news agency Reuters, the authorities have quickly sealed the port where these men work. Also, all the employees working with him have been asked to go into isolation.

At the same time, neighboring provinces of Hadramaut, Shabwa, and Al Mahra have sealed their borders. A 12-hour curfew has been imposed in Hadramaut.

Yemen ‘faces nightmare’ as first coronavirus case confirmed

Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed
Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed

UN Humanitarian Co-ordinator Lisa Grande has said that if the virus starts spreading its foot in Yemen, there will be “massive devastation” here. He said, “We were apprehensive about corona for many weeks, and now there has also been a case of infection. 

After five years of war, the immunity of people in the country has come down to the lowest level, and there is more to the virus infection. It can be sensitive. “

The World Health Organization has said that it is providing medical supply services in Yemen. The organization says that test kits, ventilators are being provided here, and health workers are also being given training.

Xavier Zubert, director of Save the Children camp in Yemen, said it was extremely important that both sides abide by the ceasefire. He said, “the first case of infection is in front of us and we were all afraid of it. We were hoping that this country would survive the virus. Because Yemen is in a fragile position to face this virus.”

Yemen ‘faces nightmare’ as first coronavirus case confirmed

Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed
Yemen faces nightmare as first coronavirus case confirmed

He says, “The COVID19 pandemic will put further pressure on the country’s already overcrowded health facility, and it will have an unfortunate and devastating effect on the citizens. If we do not work for it today, then what we will face in the future Can not be done. “

Tamuna Subedz of the International Rescue Committee says, “Millions of people in Yemen are forced to live in very little space and amidst the filth. They are in a fragile position to combat the virus.”

According to Suez, “We knew that the coronavirus has spread around the world and it can also come here, but despite this we will say that the case of COVID19 in Yemen is like a nightmare.”Earlier, the World Food Program said that due to lack of funds, they are compelled to halve aid in some areas occupied by Houthi rebels.

This UN agency said that some donors had stopped their aid because they felt that the rebels were stopping the help being sent. The agency says that from about two weeks after April, families will now get assistance only once in two months instead of every month.

Aakash Mishra
I am a professional content writer at world-wire, which is a News Agency and social platform that helps people attract visitors through Daily News and World Update.

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in World