Laptop technology is improving every day, finding the best Laptop Under $400 is a very difficult thing to do, a few days ago I myself was searching for the best laptop under $400 for my sister who has to do some of her college work and video streaming on her laptop, and not going to lie it was such a headache to find the best laptop for her, while finding a laptop there are many things we should consider, not only the brand, but the pricing and features are most important.
It is not the time like it was a decade ago when there were only a few brands and models to choose from, now different brands offer different tech. While buying a laptop, I consider the processor, RAM, operating system, graphic card, display quality, and the brand of course.
Well, now that I have taken all that hassle, I wish that nobody should need to take this much effort to find the best laptop under $400, finding a good laptop is easy, you must know your requirements properly, which will make it easier for you to hit the right deal, but sometimes, we end up getting very confused because of the constantly upgrading, but the same looking tech.
Don’t you worry, I have got you sorted, in this article, I will make sure that you get the perfect idea of what you need and which is the Best Laptop under $400, I will put out a few suggestions for you, which i personally felt to be worth enough to be given thought while buying a laptop under $400, if you have restricted your budget to $400 then you must compromise some specs like the processor and the storage of the laptop since these components bring a huge change in the price, but there is nothing to worry, with our guide for buying the best laptop under $400, you can still get a very good laptop, so without further wait, let’s get started.
- 1 Best Laptop Under $400 For The Money In 2020
- 2 1. Overall Best: Acer Aspire 1 A115-31-C2Y3
- 3 2. Lenovo IdeaPad 2020 Laptop Computer AMD A6-9220e
- 4 3. HP 14in High-Performance Laptop
- 5 4. HP 14″ HD WLED Backlit High Performance Business Laptop
- 6 5. ASUS VivoBook 15
- 7 6. Lenovo IdeaPad S340
- 8 7. Lenovo Ideapad 3
- 9 8. Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop
- 10 9. Microsoft Surface Go
- 11 10. Acer Chromebook Spin 11 CP311-1H-C5PN Convertible Laptop
- 12 Buying guide for best laptop under $400
- 13 Conclusion:
Best Laptop Under $400 For The Money In 2020
In this list I have 10 handpicked suggestions for the best laptop under $400 for you, these are one of the best available options and come from the top brands.
1. Overall Best: Acer Aspire 1 A115-31-C2Y3
Priced at just $249.99, the Acer Aspire 1 A115-31-C2Y3 is a bang for the price, it has just everything you might need for basic work, or I must say for a person who is into video streaming and basic office work or student work. This laptop features Intel celereon N4020 processor which can easily give you a pretty decent and lag free work experience makes it the best laptop under $400, not only that, the laptop also features a 4 gb DDR4 ram and is expected to give you a battery life of 10 hours on regular usage.
Also read: Xiaomi Launches New Laptop MI Notebook 14
- Intel Celeron N4020 (Up to 2.8 GHz) 4GB DDR4 RAM.
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED-backlit TN display, Intel UHD Graphics 600.
- Up to 10 hours battery life.
- 1 – USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, 2 – USB 2.0 ports, 1 – HDMI port with HDCP support.
- Exceptionally low price
- Wide and Full HD display
- Slim and Lightweight
- Attractive and compact design
- Mediocre Processor
- Bad Webcam quality
The price of this laptop justifies its features, seeing the price the laptop offers very much, you may not expect this to do heavy tasks for you, but with regular usage, the laptop works flawlessly.
2. Lenovo IdeaPad 2020 Laptop Computer AMD A6-9220e
The second laptop on our list is the latest 2020 version of Lenovo Ideapad, which features an AMD A6-9220e processor, the processor is meant to give you blazing-fast work experience, you can also expect the processor to provide you a slight availability of gaming features too, games like GTA V can be run on the lowest settings. The laptop is priced at $344 which lets this to make way into our list of Best Laptop under $400 on Amazon. The Laptop also has a 4gb DDR4 RAM, meaning that it can handle a few amounts of tasks at an ease.
- AMD A6-9220e accelerated processor with dual-core that can handle AMD graphics.
- 14″ display 1366 x 768 HD resolution with energy-efficient LED backlight.
- 4GB DDR4 Memory for full-power multitasking; 64GB eMMC flash memory.
- 2 USB 3.0 Ports and 1 HDMI port.
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit and Microsoft Office 365 Personal 1-year subscription for free.
- Lightweight and compact
- Free Microsoft office 365 subscription for one year.
- Good for basic work
- Attractive and compact design
- May lag sometimes
- Average battery backup ( about 5-6 hours)
The laptop is good for basic usage at home or at the office, but you may not expect that much from it, though it comes with a Microsoft office 365 subscription for one year, so technically you get this laptop for a bit lower price, but overall, you may buy the laptop, or can completely avoid it too.
3. HP 14in High-Performance Laptop
Not typically high performance but the HP 14in High-Performance Laptop, having AMD Ryzen 3 3200-U processor is a fair competitor on our list of best laptop under $400, because it has good performance in handling multiple tasks and handling light but graphics-heavy tasks. The laptop features a 4gb DDR4 Ram along with 128 GB SSD which enables it to not only just boot quickly, but also in storing the data efficiently. The laptop also has a great 14 inch display. This is the first laptop with SSD on our list.
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U for smooth functioning.
- Display: 14.0-inch diagonal HD SVA and AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics.
- 4 GB DDR4 and Internal storage: 128 GB M.2 Solid State Drive.
- 1 USB 3.1 port, 2 USB 3.0 ports, and 1 HDMI port.
- Windows 10 Home OS in S mode.
You might also want to read: 7 Non Chinese Mobile Smartphone brands
- Tough build quality.
- Great screen quality.
- 128 Gb SSD.
- Low memory.
- Not the latest processor.
- Bulky in weight.
The HP 14in High-Performance Laptop is a fair competitor in ur list of best laptop under $400, the laptop has a tough build and a good processor, however, you might be troubled with its low memory, so you may need some extra flash drives. you may surely give this a chance while considering to buy the best laptop under $400.
4. HP 14″ HD WLED Backlit High Performance Business Laptop
Priced at $399.99, the HP 14″ HD WLED Backlit High Performance Business Laptop is surely an eligible competitor in our list of best laptop under $400 because of its great processor, the laptop features an AMD Athlon silver 3050 U processor, which is an average processor and can also handle some heavy tasks, but considering the price, you must not expect it to give you a gaming laptop experience, but I can pretty much say, that with normal and slightly heavy usage, this laptop is not going to disappoint you. The laptop also features a 14-inch diagonal HD display, a DDR4 4gb RAM, and 128gb SSD.
- AMD Athlon Silver 3050U processor.
- 14″ diagonal HD SVA (1366 x 768) Display.
- 4GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM Memory 128GB Solid State Drive.
- Windows Operating System: Windows 10 Home in S Mode.
- Lightweight and portable design.
- Long Battery Life.
- Superior build quality.
- Get’s slow after continuous usage.
- No dedicated numerical keypad.
For normal usage this laptop is a good deal, the pricing is a bit aggressive, it could’ve been around $70-80 lesser, then this laptop could’ve been a bang, but anyways, you may consider buying this.
5. ASUS VivoBook 15
Priced at $499, this laptop is a pure bang for the price, this laptop even after being priced above the $400 budget makes it to our list of best laptop under $400 because in sales you can get this around $400 easily, the laptop has everything that a person in the office and a student in the college needs, it features an Intel Core i3 10th generation processor, a wide 15.6-inch FHD display, with very slim bezels, and a fingerprint sensor for enhanced security.
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920×1080) display.
- 10th Gen Intel Core i3-1005G1 CPU.
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD.
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard with a fingerprint sensor.
- USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI
- Backlit Keyboard
- Fingerprint sensor
- Good processor
- Lightweight and stylish
- Very bad viewing angles
- Small keys
- Unresponsive at times
The Laptop is very stylish and offers you a good processor and enhanced security in the form of a fingerprint sensor, the only thing that concerns me is the quality of the display, you may very much buy this if you get a deal at around 400$.
6. Lenovo IdeaPad S340
Lenovo Ideapad S340 makes it to our list of best laptop under $ 400 because of its compact and sleek design and a good processor, the Lenovo Ideapad S340 gives you an Intel Core i3 8145U processor, which can handle pretty much everything that a workman and a student will do. This laptop also has a backlit keyboard so that you can work at nights without turning on the lights. The laptop has thin bezels and an excellent screen.
- 8th Gen Intel Core i3-8145U 2. 1GHz up to 3. 9GHz with 4MB SmartCache.
- Dolby Audio and Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620.
- 2 USB Type-A (USB 3. 1 Gen 1), 1 USB 3. 1 Gen 1, 1 HDMI 1. 4b.
- Thin bezels and Backlit keyboard.
- Great Processor.
- Sleek and lightweight.
- Good Screen Quality.
- Backlit Keyboard.
- Short Battery life.
- Bad webcam quality.
I personally like this laptop for its sleekness and the good screen, this laptop also features a good processor and an SSD, I’ll recommend buying this.
7. Lenovo Ideapad 3
Price at $449.99 the Lenovo Ideapad 3 is a very compact and useful laptop, the laptop provides you an appropriate processor and a good screen, this laptop makes it to our list of best laptop under $400 beccause of its great features. The laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor which can even run heavy games at low graphic settings, the laptop also has AMD Vega 8 graphics and 8GB DDR4 Ram and 256 GB SSD.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U.
- Dolby Audio delivers crystal-clear sound with a 14-inch FHD screen and narrow side bezels.
- Three USB ports, and HDMI.
- Physical shutter for your webcam.
- RAM Type: DDR4 SDRAM.
- Great Processor that supports light gaming also.
- Good quality screen.
- Elegant Look.
- 256 GB SSD
- Average Battery Backup
- Bad thermals.
Lenovo Ideapad 3 is one of the best laptops I have reviewed in this article, it has got you covered on everything, priced slightly above the budget, but this laptop is a must buy.
8. Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop
The Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 covertible laptop makes it to our list of best laptop under $400 because of its productivity as a touch screen tablet and a laptop as well, the laptop features an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U processor which is a powerful processor and apart from gaming can offer you a great deal in gaming too. The laptop comes with a 14-inch FHD touchscreen display.
- 1920 x 1080 full HD touch screen display and the powerful and efficient AMD Ryzen 5 3500U.
- Physical Privacy shutter for webcam.
- With the included active pen.
- Upto 10 hours battery life.
- Superfast charging speed
- Backlit Keyboard
- Great RAM and processor
- Attractive and compact design
- Needs to be used with care because of convertability and the touch screen
This laptop is a steal deal and if you are looking for laptops above $500 then you must consider buying this for sure, however one fact that must be noted is that the convertible laptops need to be used with utter care.
9. Microsoft Surface Go
Priced at $544, the Microsoft surface Go comes with the goodness of Microsoft and the powerful and elegant pentium go processor, the same laptop can be used both as a tablet and laptop, it comes with a portable detachable keyboard, and a versatile stylus pen which is good for functioning. The laptop can be used for office work and college work and provides good battery backup too, the setup is lightweight, however there is no scope for gaming in this because of it’s unique build.
- High resolution 10 inch PixelSense Display
- Lightweight, just 1.15 pounds
- Upto 9 hours of battery life
- Intel pentium gold processor
- 1 USB C port
- Compact and portable
- Great Screen quality
- Great processor
- No USB A port
- Keyboard and Stylus pen sold seperately
Considering the price and features, it is not that worth to be honest, the keyboard and pen are sold seperately so that also is an added expense which is somewhat necessary, but if you are looking for a convertible laptop, with good processor, then you must definitely look forward to it.
10. Acer Chromebook Spin 11 CP311-1H-C5PN Convertible Laptop
This is the first and the last chromebook in our list, the Acer Chromebook Spin priced at $373 appears like a fair deal, the only thing that concerns me is its chrome OS, comparing the availability of softwares and the user friendliness, chromeOS lacks in front of windows. The Laptop features an average Intel Celeron processor and can be used in offices and colleges, no expectations on gaming.
- Intel Celeron N3350 Processor
- Latest Chrome OS
- 4 GB RAM and 32 GB eMMC storage
- Convertible laptop
- 100 GB google drive cloud storage
- Slim and Lightweight
- Average processor
- Non-availability of Windows Specific Apps
- Less Storage
A Chromebook is very specific, it does not support windows specific apps, and does not provide you a feel of a typical laptop, while the pricing for this one is appropriate, you may really need to realise if you’re ready to use a chromebook before buying,
Buying guide for best laptop under $400
While buying the best laptop under $400, there are certain important factors you must keep in mind, while you can get a very good deal in this price, you must also understand that not everything can be bought under this budget, certain premium features may lack while buying the best laptop under $400.
Features like a premium screen quality, a flagship processor, biometric authentication, SSD or a heavy RAM capacity may lack in a laptop under $400, we have suggested you good laptops, which try to provide many premium features at your budget.
While buying a laptop under $400, you must also know that is your budget strictly $400, or can it be more or less? We have suggested you laptops as such that there is availabilty for both the situations, there are laptops which are slightly above the $400 mark and also slightly lower than that.
When you buy a laptop, make sure you check all the options that we have provided and then make a decision, a decision made in hurry is seldom precise. We have provided you the links for the best possible prices of the available options.
I personally have curated this list for you, while most of the laptops are justifying their price, some laptops are there because of there unique features, if you have read this article to the very end, I am pretty sure that you may have had a clear thought about what is the best laptop under $400.