A few days ago, I heard that you could get a Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet for free from the government, so I decided to get my hands on it.
Maxwest Astro 8R is a reliable Android tablet with basic features. It is not packed with the most advanced features but has all the necessary ones.
With this article, I share my experience of getting the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet, its eligibility criteria, required documents, the application process, and the Activation process.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started.
Does Government Provide Free Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet?
The federal government does not provide an entirely free Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet but provides a discount to enable low-income families to purchase the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet.
This discount is available through the Affordable Connectivity Program ( ACP), an assistance program that provides free or discounted phone services to people who cannot pay their phone bills.
The ACP offers monthly Internet discounts for eligible households, including $30 for non-tribal families and $75 for tribal land households.
The qualifying families can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase devices like tablets, Laptops, or desktop computers with a contribution of $10-$50 towards the purchase price.
Since you are obtaining a Tablet for a significantly low price through the government initiative, it is called a free government Tablet (Tablets at $10-$50 are almost free). Hence, you can get Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet free government through the ACP program.
Top 5 Free Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet Provider
The providers participating in the ACP do not specify the Tablet models they offer in advance. Moreover, the model you receive depends on many factors, such as your provider, state, or the Tablet’s availability at the time of your application.
Therefore, it is difficult to determine what wireless providers offer Maxwest 8R Tablet free government.
However, based on our research, you can expect to obtain a Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet from the following providers’ ACP service providers.
Please click on your preferred service provider to apply for a Maxwest Astro 8R free government tablet via the ACP program.
You can also visit these providers’ official websites to check whether they offer Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet through the ACP in your state or territory.
Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet Free Government – Application Process 2023
The government has provided an easy application process for the ACP program and, thus, for the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet free government, requiring you to complete these four steps.
- Find out the ACP providers in your state by visiting “https://cnm.universalservice.org/” that offer free Maxwest Astro 8R tablets in your state of residence.
- If you have found one, check whether you are eligible for the ACP program.
- If you are eligible, please collect the essential document to prove your eligibility.
- Finally, Apply for the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet via the ACP program in your state.
You can refer to the eligibility, required documents, and application from the below sections.
How To Qualify For Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet Free Government?
You must qualify by certain criteria to apply for the ACP and get Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet free government. The prerequisites to apply for the ACP are as follows.
- You must be 18 or an emancipated minor.
- You must be a resident of the state where you apply for the ACP program.
You also need to meet one of the ACP-specific eligibility criteria mentioned below in addition to the above requirements.
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) has set some eligibility criteria for the ACP. You must meet any single eligibility out of the two mentioned below.
Your annual household income must fall below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines to qualify for the ACP.
Program – eligibility criteria
You may also qualify for the ACP if you belong to a household receiving benefits from the following eligible government support programs.
- Lifeline Assistance Program
- Food Stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, Children (WIC)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Head Start (only families meeting the income qualifying standard).
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Receive a federal Pell Grant in the existing award year
Once you ensure your eligibility for the ACP, you must also check whether you have the required documents to prove your qualification to receive a Maxwest Astro 8R free government Tablet.
The documents you need depend on your eligibility criteria through which you apply for the free Tablet via the ACP. These include:
- Documents to verify your income falls below the ACP’s federal poverty guidelines.
- Documents to substantiate that you’re a government program beneficiary.
- Documents to prove your age, identity, or address.
Here are details of the documents you can submit based on your eligibility.
Proof of income
If you apply for the ACP on a low-income basis, you can check for the availability of one of the documents.
- Current income statement
- Pay stub from employer
- Tax Return (state, federal or tribal)
- Divorce decree
- child support award
- Social security statement of benefits
- Veteran’s statement of benefits
- Unemployment or worker’s compensation statement
- A retirement/ pension statement of benefits
Proof of program participation
If you apply for the ACP on the basis of your participation in any eligible government support program, you can submit one of the following documents.
- Government approval letter
- Program benefit verification
- Program benefit award
- Statement of program benefits
In addition to the eligibility documents, you must have some documents in case you need to prove your identity, address, or age.
Hence, please look for the availability of these documents.
- Birth certificate
- U.S. driver license
- State ID
- US Military ID
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Certificate of emancipation (if emancipated minor)
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
Please note that you only need to submit a copy of any single eligibility during the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet application.
Apply For Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet Free Government Initiative?
You must first apply for the ACP through the National Verifier if eligible.
You can apply to the agency online by following these steps.
- Visit “https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/”
- Click on the “Apply” icon.
- You will be redirected to the National Verifier’s application form.
- Fill out this form with your correct details.
- Attach copies of your eligibility documents.
- Finally, submit your application form.
- Wait for the approval.
If the National Verifier approves your application, you must contact your preferred provider to sign up for their ACP benefits and receive Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet for free.
Suppose the agency does not approve you. In that case, you may reapply for the ACP by following the same procedure.
Application via mail
Although the online application is easy to go through, many people still need help finding it, and they prefer to apply for the ACP offline.
You can apply for the ACP to receive a free Government Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet offline via the mail.
Here, you have details on how you can do so.
- Download and print the ACP application form at
- Also, take the print of the Household worksheet at
- Fill out these two forms.
- Attach copies of your essential eligibility documentation.
- Send your application package to ACP Support Center, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18773.
Activation Process For The Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet
Once you have received a free government Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet through the ACP, you must activate it in order to use your provider’s services.
Here are the steps to activate your free Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet.
- Prepare your Tablet for activation by charging to its full capacity.
- Turn on your Tablet by pressing and holding the power button on the Tablet.
- Wait until the Tablet boots up and displays the home screen.
- You will have to connect your Tablet to a Wi-Fi network to complete the activation process. Please find the desired Wi-Fi network and connect your Tablet to it.
- Once connected, the next step is to sign in to your Google account. You can sign in using your email and password if you already have a Google account. If you don’t have a Google account, please create one when prompted during activation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update your Tablet’s software. You must check for any other updates. If you find any, please install the updates.
- Once the setup is done, your Maxwest Astro 8R free Tablet is activated and is ready to use.
Features Of The Maxwest Astro 8R Government Tablet
The free government Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet has an elegant design and amazing features necessary for ACP-qualified- low-income people.
Here are the features of the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet.
- Display: it has 8 8-inch LCD IPS screens with a ratio of 16:10 and a 60Hz refresh rate.
- Processor: This tablet is powered by a UNISOC Quad Core processor with a 2.0 GHz CPU frequency
- Operating system: It runs on the latest Android 11
- Battery: 4000 mAh capacity but does not support fast or wireless charging.
- Storage: 3 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory expandable using a microSD memory card of up to 512GB.
- Camera: It has an 8 M.P. main camera and a 5 M.P. secondary camera
- Connectivity: supports WLAN Bluetooth and GPS connectivity but lacks NFC or radio functionality.
The additional features of the Tablet include a face unlock armor case, dual SIM support, kids mode, dual stereo speakers, etc.
|Display||8.0″ IPS HD display (1280×800)|
|Processor||Unisoc SC9863A quad-core processor|
|Operating system||Android 11 (Go edition)|
|Storage||32GB internal storage, expandable up to
128GB via microSD card
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LTE|
|Dimensions||208 x 125 x 9.4 mm|
Maxwest Astro 8R Free Government Tablet Review
Maxwest Astro 8R free government Tablet helps low-income eligible households stay connected and access many opportunities such as online education and information resources, job opportunities, online shopping, healthcare facilities, and other essential things.
Regarding its review, the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet has received mixed appraisals from its users.
Based on the customer’s rating, Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet stands out ahead of many basic Tablets models when we consider factors such as affordability (due to its low price), portability (for its lightweight and compact design), and user-friendly interface.
However, the model has yet to satisfy customers regarding overall performance significantly. Many people have raised durability concerns regarding the Tablet and reported its limited software compatibility.
As the Tablet is provided nearly free, it is considered beneficial for those who cannot even pay for a device with basic features.
With Maxwest Astro 8R tablet free government, low-income households can at least fulfill their essential needs.
List Of Other Maxwest Tablets That You Can Get Under ACP
Although the Tablets models you get under the ACP are not revealed, you can expect to get the following Maxwest Tablets when you qualify for the ACP program.
- ASTRO 10R
- ASTRO 8R
- ASTRO 8Q
- NITRO 8
- NITRO 7Q
- PANDA KIDS 7
- TAB MAX 7
Comparison table of Top 3 Maxwest Tablets
After looking at all the tablets’ specifications, we have selected the Top 3 tablets for you.
|Display||10.1″ IPS HD display (1280×800)||8.0″ IPS HD display (1280×800)||8.0″ IPS HD display (1280×800)|
|Android 11 (Go edition)||Android 11 (Go edition)||Android 11 (Go edition)|
|Memory||3GB RAM||3GB RAM||3GB RAM|
|Storage||32GB internal storage, expandable up to
via microSD card
|32GB internal storage, expandable up to
via microSD card
|32GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via microSD card|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LTE||Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LTE||Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, LTE|
|Dimensions||240 x 160 x 9.4 mm||208 x 125 x 9.4 mm||208 x 125 x 9.4 mm|
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a free government Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet?
The Maxwest Astro 8R tablet is not offered entirely for free. When you qualify for the ACP program, you can get a $100 discount to purchase the Tablet.
Is the Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet an advanced device?
Not really. Maxwest Astro 8R Tablet is a basic Tablet with all the necessary features.
Can I apply for the ACP to revive the Tablet discount if I receive lifeline benefits in my state?
Yes. Since you already receive lifeline benefits, you are automatically eligible to apply for the ACP program to receive the Tablet discounts.
Subscribe to Email Updates :