While everyone can write a resume comfortably, not everyone can write it well. In our modern world, studies have shown that 40 percent of human resource managers spend less than a minute looking at a resume. Therefore, putting in the time to write an eye-catchy and engaging resume that captures your work experience and skills can be the difference between getting the job and not. To help you land your dream job and achieve your career goals in the long run, here are a few simple tips that you should follow.
Learn how to prepare a resume
There are a few things that you need to do before you start working on your resume. Keep in mind that every resume should be tailored to a specific job that you are applying for. You should never submit a one-size-fits-all document. To have an easy time, here are a few tips that you should keep in mind:
- Create a list of your major accomplishments, skills, education qualifications, and details of your previous or current employer
- Find ample time to write your resume
- Find a quiet place that’s free of distractions
- Don’t try to perfect your document when writing
- Step away from everything after writing to refresh your mind during the proofreading process
Understand the different sections of a resume
To figure out how to write a resume, you need to read best resume writing service samples to know the most important parts of the resume. Every section serves a purpose and can be placed in different sections of your document. These sections include:
- Contact info: This includes your name, professional email address, phone number, and home address
- Resume objective: You need to present your skills, experiences, and any other thing that you bring in a few sentences. If you are looking for a job for the first time, applying for a goal-oriented job can greatly increase your chances of success.
- Skills: You should always write down six to eight skills that you possess that are relevant to the job that you are applying for. You need to discuss your skills and what you’ve learned over the years that will help you land your dream job. A bullet list will enable the potential employer to go through your document quickly and make the right decision.
- Work history: You should always start with the latest job going back. Ensure that you list them in clear bullet points.
- Education: Write down the educational qualifications that are needed for the job at hand.
Use the appropriate format
In the world of resume writing, there are three formats that you can use. Every format determines how you’ll organize your document. Since these formats are not interchangeable, you need to go for the appropriate one. They include:
- Chronological format – This is a format that people use most of the time. It’s ideal for individuals with no employment gaps and lots of work experience. It’s ideal for jobs that require lots of experience since it focuses on work experience and top achievements.
- Functional format – It’s ideal for individuals with employment gaps, who want to change careers or have no work experience. It focuses on your abilities, skills, and training. College graduates should use this format to increase their chances of landing their dream job.
Include the right keywords
This is one of the most important resumes writing tips. Using the right keywords will ensure that the hiring manager reads your document and gives it serious consideration. Keywords are specific to every employer and job opportunity. You need to go through the job ad and identify keywords that you should include in your resume. Nowadays, most organizations will require job seekers to send their resumes electronically because they have a system that screens documents and discards those that lack the appropriate keywords. Knowing the keywords and including them can be the difference between getting the job and not.
Avoid including irrelevant details
Your resume should reflect the skills and work experience that you have. And they should be relevant to the job you are applying for. Everything that you include in your resume should focus on the fact that you are the ideal person for the job.
Go through the job description carefully and focus on the skills, knowledge, and experience that meet the requirements. You can always go through sample resumes available online to know which sections you should include. If you cannot write your resume well, don’t be afraid to seek CV services help. There are a lot of experts online who can help you land your dream job at an affordable fee.
When submitting your resume, don’t forget to complement it with a good cover letter. A cover letter will show the hiring manager that you are a professional and enthusiastic individual who is ready to work. Writing a resume is easy if you follow the steps that we’ve discussed here. If you are having a hard time writing a good resume, you should seek help from experts.