Puerto Rico’s Pierluisi was born in 1959. Colegio Marista of Guaynabo, where he graduated in 1977. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in American...
Biographical Data, Pedro Pierluisi
|Age||64 Years Old|
|Spouse||María Elena Carrión|
Facts About Pedro Pierluisi
- Pedro Rafael Pierluisi Urrutia is a Puerto Rican politician and lawyer.
- Pierluisi is a member of the New Progressive Party (PNP) in Puerto Rico.
- He was the 11th Secretary of Justice of Puerto Rico from 1993 to 1996.
- Pierluisi worked as an attorney for the Puerto Rico Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- In 2008, he was elected as the Resident Commissioner of Puerto Rico, representing the island in the United States House of Representatives.
- He was Resident Commissioner from 2009 to 2017, being reelected in 2012 and 2016.
- Pierluisi briefly served as the 20th Acting Secretary of State of Puerto Rico from August 2 to August 7, 2019.
- In 2020, he ran for the governorship of Puerto Rico and won the general election.
- Pierluisi assumed the role of the 55th Governor of Puerto Rico on January 2, 2021.
Relevant People & Companies
Latest News About Pedro Pierluisi
Pedro Pierluisi Networth
Pedro Pierluisi’s net worth is estimated to be $1 million, according to OpenSecrets. This figure is based on his financial disclosure reports, filed annually with the U.S. House of Representatives.
Pedro Pierluisi Biography
Pedro Rafael Pierluisi Urrutia is a Puerto Rican politician and lawyer who assumed the office of the 55th governor of Puerto Rico on January 2, 2021. Representing the New Progressive Party (PNP), Pierluisi has held several key positions throughout his career. From 1993 to 1996, he served as the 11th secretary of justice of Puerto Rico, followed by his tenure as the 14th resident commissioner of Puerto Rico from 2009 to 2017. Additionally, he briefly served as the 20th acting secretary of state of Puerto Rico from August 2 to August 7, 2019.
Born in San Juan, Puerto Rico, on April 26, 1959, Pierluisi completed his education at Colegio Marista Guaynabo in 1977. He went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in American history from Tulane University in 1981. Continuing his studies, he obtained a Juris Doctor degree from George Washington University Law School in 1984.
Following his law school graduation, Pierluisi worked as a law clerk for Judge Juan R. Torruella of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Subsequently, he held positions as an attorney for the Puerto Rico Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Justice. In 1993, Governor Pedro Rosselló appointed him as the secretary of justice, overseeing criminal prosecution and law enforcement while spearheading efforts to enhance the efficiency of the justice system.
In 2008, Pierluisi was elected as the resident commissioner of Puerto Rico, representing the island in the United States House of Representatives. He secured reelection in 2012 and 2016, becoming a prominent advocate for Puerto Rico’s interests within the U.S. Congress. Throughout his tenure, he actively worked to strengthen the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States.
In 2019, following the resignation of Governor Ricardo Rosselló amidst widespread protests, Pierluisi assumed the role of acting secretary of state after being appointed by Thomas Rivera Schatz, the president of the Senate. Consequently, he briefly held the governorship from August 2 to August 7, 2019, until the election of Wanda Vázquez Garced.
In 2020, Pierluisi ran for the position of governor of Puerto Rico and emerged victorious in the general election, defeating the incumbent governor, Wanda Vázquez Garced. On January 2, 2021, he was inaugurated as the governor of Puerto Rico. Governor Pierluisi prioritized initiatives for economic recovery, education, and healthcare during his office. He has also actively sought to enhance the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States, focusing on fostering improved cooperation and understanding.