If you are looking for a way to get free e-bikes from the government, you have stumbled across the right article.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
Does The Government Offer Free E-Bike?
The government does not offer free e-bikes. However, you can get a grant or a tax rebate from the government through US electric bike rebate program, which the government started as an initiative to get more people to switch to e-bikes.
In the next section, let’s look at the US Electric Bike Rebate program.
What Is The US Electric Bike Rebate Program?
The US electric bike rebate program was started and funded by the federal government but administrated by individual states. This program aims to switch as many people as possible to E-Bikes.
Nearly every state offers the rebate program with its own rules and regulations for how to apply and what type of e-bikes qualify for the rebate program.
This program doesn’t offer free e-bikes from the government. It will cover up to 30% of the cost of an e-bike up to $1500, but to qualify, an e-bike should cost under $8000.
The rebates are available in different amounts ranging from $400 to $1000 to $1500. Disabled people can even get a rebate of up to $1800 to purchase an e-bike under the program.
The IRS also administrates the program, meaning you must fill out the taxes and provide the purchasing documents from a local retailer or manufacturer to receive a rebate from the government.
Some States offer you up to $2,500 back on your electric bike purchase. However, US Electric Bike Rebate Program mandates you to qualify for certain eligibility to get a rebate or a grant for an e-bike from the government.
Things To Know Before You Get A Free Bike From The Government?
Before you get any free e-bikes from the government, you should know these things.
- You must know what kind of vehicle you are getting into. If you have no experience with e-bikes or pedal assist bikes, it is best to start with a regular non-electric one first. This will allow you time to learn about the working of an e-bike before taking it out on the road.
- Make sure you and the e-bike you are about to purchase are eligible under the program.
- This program only covers up to 30% of the cost of up to $1500 for an eligible e-bike. Some states may offer tax rebates of up to $2500
- As the IRS administers this program, make sure to file your taxes.
- You must have a purchase document proof from your local retailer or the manufacturer to get a tax rebate.
How To Get Free E-Bike From Government
You must qualify for your state’s US electric bike rebate program to get a grant from the government. Different states run this program and provide grants in various forms, such as cashback, tax returns, rebates, and monetary grants to purchase e-bikes.
- First, you must search whether the program is available in your state.
- After finding a program offering a free e-bike from the government, you must check its eligibility requirement to qualify.
- If you cannot find one, go to Dsireusa.org. Enter your zip code and check for the incentives and programs currently available in your state.
- If eligible, you can apply for the program.
Eligibility For Free E-Bike From Government?
As stated, free e-bikes from the government are only available if you qualify for the program’s eligibility through which you apply.
- You must be 16 years old.
- Household income should be at or below 200% of the federal poverty line. To get the full credit, a single filer’s income must be less than $150,000 for a joint filer less than $300,000.
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) administers the US electric bike rebate program, meaning you must file your taxes to be eligible for a tax rebate from the government.
- The IRS states you should have proof of purchase documentation from your local retailer to be eligible for the tax credit. In addition, there are some restrictions on who qualifies for a free e-bike from the government.
However, the eligibility for free e-bikes from the government varies for different states. Hence, it is best to refer to your state’s US electric bike rebate program for its requirements.
Benefits Of Free E-Bike From Government
There are several benefits of e-bikes.
- They use regenerative braking, which means their battery gets charged while you are riding them, which can save you money on electricity bills.
- They are good for the place with no access to car parking. You can park them anywhere within reason as they don’t require any parking spot.
- E-Bikes are eco-friendly as they work on electricity and don’t require any fuel to work, so there is no emission of harmful gas.
- E-bikes enable you to travel longer distances with less effort and makes you healthy as they require pedaling until the speed reaches a certain point where the motor kicks in.
Does the government offer free e-bikes?
No. Free e-bike from the government is not available. But you can get grants through tax rebates, tax returns, or cash back on purchasing e-bikes.
Is a free e-bike from the government “really” free?
No. You only get grants ranging from $400, $1000, and $1700 depending on your eligibility and states to purchase an e-bike.
How can I get grants to purchase an e-bike?
You must qualify for the US Electric Bike Rebate Program to get grants to purchase an e-bike.
How long do e-bikes last?
With regular maintenance and care, you can expect your electric bike to last as long as a regular bike. If you are paying attention to it in the rain, it should last you over 10 years.
Subscribe to Email Updates :