The special counsel looking into investigations of former President Donald Trump subpoenaed former Vice President Mike Pence, as confirmed by multiple sources.
Pence’s legal team and the federal prosecutors negotiated for months before the subpoena came through, but the Justice Department declined, refusing to comment on the matter.
Special Counsel Jack Smith is leading the probe, looking into both investigations; the alleged mishandling of classified documents, and the Jan.6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.
Smith was named the special counsel in November by the US attorney general, Merrick Garland to oversee investigations into Trump’s alleged mishandling of classified documents after leaving office. Shortly after, Trump declared that he would be seeking the Republican nomination for president in 2024.
This move suggests that Smith’s investigation has entered an advanced stage and is seen as a major escalation of his probe into efforts by Trump and his allies to overturn the elections.
Trump allegedly handled some highly sensitive classified documents which he retained at his Florida resort after leaving the White House in January 2021, according to the first investigation.
The second investigation is looking into the Jan 6 riot and efforts by Donald Trump and his allies trying to overturn the 2020 presidential elections results, which includes a plot to submit phony slates of electors, thereby blocking Congress from certifying Democrat Joe Biden’s victory.
Testimony for both investigations from many former Trump administration officials have been heard by Grand Juries in Washington during the recent months.
Robert Hur was named another special counsel last month by Garland to probe into improper storage of classified documents at Biden’s home and former office.
Whether Pence will invoke claims of executive privilege, is not clear, nor what the prosecutors will seek from him.
Trump didn’t want to” partake” in the investigation against himself saying it was “the worst politicisation of justice in the country.”
“I have been going through this for six years — for six years I have been going through this, and I am not going to go through it anymore,” Trump told Fox News Digital in an exclusive interview Friday shortly after the announcement. “And I hope the Republicans have the courage to fight this.”
“I have been proven innocent for six years on everything — from fake impeachments to [former special counsel Robert] Mueller who found no collusion, and now I have to do it more?” Trump said. “It is not acceptable. It is so unfair. It is so political.”
Subscribe to Email Updates :