Masters of Business Administration (MBA) is a two years programme which is among the most popular post-graduate programmes across the world. Also called Post-Graduation Diploma in Management (PGDM), the program provides the candidates with immense job opportunities across the corporate world. PGDM is also available as one-year programmes in some private institutes.
MBA is open for all, irrespective of the stream – Science, Commerce, and Arts, they belong to. Students can pursue an MBA in various modes, including Regular, Online, and Distance-Education. It can also be customized depending on the professional experience of the aspirants like an Executive MBA.
MBA – Eligibility Criteria
Below mentioned are the essential Full-time MBA eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have a graduation degree in any discipline or equivalent from a recognized university.
- The minimum score criteria followed by the majority of Institutes in graduation is 50 per cent average or equivalent. However, it is 45 per cent for reserved category students.
- Students studying in the final year of graduation can also apply for MBA. However, they need to present the proof of completion of graduation degree to the institute within the given timeline.
Notably, the eligibility criteria for the MBA course may differ from college to college.
MBA – Admission Procedure in Kolkata
Students are required to clear the admission test to get admission in the B-schools. Such admission tests are of the below-mentioned types:
- National Level Test: These are conducted by an apex testing body or a top national B-school on behalf of all the participating colleges. Such tests are CAT, MAT, XAT, or ATMA.
- State Level Test: These are conducted by a state-level testing body or a top state B-school on behalf of all the participating colleges of that state such as WB JEMAT
- University entrance Test: A university conducts it for admissions to MBA programmes offered by its affiliated colleges.
MBA Colleges in Kolkata
Kolkata is among the top MBA destinations of India. The capital of West Bengal has MBA colleges offering quality education as well as high placements. Interestingly, the first institute to offer MBA degree in India is Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management (IISWBM) in Kolkata. It was established here in 1953.
Apart from this, the first-ever Indian Institute of Management (IIM) was also established in Kolkata. The state capital has over 50 colleges that offer quality education in MBA at a comparatively low fee which makes it perfect for getting an MBA degree from here.
Kolkata is also an industrial hub and thus it provides high placement opportunity and industrial exposure as well. The city also has headquarters of many companies like ITC Limited, Britannia Industries, Hindustan Motors, Birla Corporation, Philips India, Coal India Limited, United Bank of India, among others.
There are broadly three types of MBA colleges which offers an MBA programme in Kolkata:
- IIMs – IIM Calcutta.
- AICTE Approved PGDM Colleges like IMI, MDI, Globsyn, Calcutta Business School.
- University MBA colleges like IIFT, IISWBM, XBS, IEM.
Candidates are allowed to choose among the various specialization courses provided under the MBA programme in Kolkata. These specializations in the management field include:
- Sales and Marketing
- Human Resources
- International Business
- IT and Systems
- Business Analytics
- Logistics and Supply Chain
Top MBA Colleges in Kolkata
|MBA College||Type of MBA College||MBA College Fee
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta||Central Govt. Created oldest IIM||22.60|
|Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) Kolkata||IIFT University MBA college||16.50|
|International Management Institute (IMI) Kolkata||AICTE Approved PGDM College||12.41|
|Management Development Institute (MDI) Murshidabad||AICTE Approved PGDM College||11.50|
|Indian Institute of Social Welfare & Business Management (IISWBM), Kolkata||Autonomous- Affiliated to Calcutta University||6.00|
|Globsyn Business School (GBS) Kolkata||AICTE Approved PGDM College||7.60|
|Calcutta Business School (CBS) Kolkata||AICTE Approved PGDM College||6.85|
|Xavier Business School (XBS) Kolkata||St.Xavier University MBA college||10.40|
|Institute of Engineering & Management (IEM), Kolkata||Affiliated to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology (MAKAUT)||6.40|
|Praxis Business School, Kolkata||AICTE Approved PGDM College||9.27|
Some of the top colleges offering PGDM in Kolkata are International Management Institute (IMI) Kolkata, Management Development Institute (MDI) Murshidabad, Globsyn Business School (GBS) Kolkata, Praxis Business School Kolkata, etc.
MBA Job Opportunities:
Some of the job profiles which are offered after completing MBA include the following:
- Finance Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Sales Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Operations Manager
- Product Manager
- Data Analytics Manager
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Advertising Sales Manager
- NGO Manager
MBA has lots of scope in the market be it any industry, the demand for MBA graduates is rising day by day. Every segment and type of organization is hiring the MBA graduates irrespective of the size, sector and type of industry. We hope the article will prove to be useful for you. We wish you Best of Luck!