This article covers a detailed guide on how to get car insurance military discounts, what are the terms and conditions, eligibility criteria, and more.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
What is Military Car Insurance?
Car Insurance military disocunts is a unique type of auto insurance designed for active military members and veterans. As NerdWallet highlights, these groups have different insurance needs than civilians, making it crucial to consider a specialized insurance policy that caters to their requirements. In addition, military car insurance provides coverage to service members, including those deployed overseas or stationed within the country.
Military discounts car insurance offers a range of coverage options, including liability coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Liability coverage is mandatory for all drivers and covers harm caused to another individual or property in a misfortune where the driver is at fault. Collision coverage reimburses for deterioration to the car in a collision, irrespective of who is at fault. Comprehensive coverage covers damages to your car caused by theft, fire, or vandalism. Finally, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage protects you if you get in an accident with an individual with no or insufficient insurance coverage.
One of the significant advantages of car insurance military discounts is the discounts and special rates that insurers offer to active military members and veterans. These discounts often range from 10 to 15 percent off regular rates, making it an affordable and attractive option for military personnel.
Some insurers provide specialized coverage options for service members deployed overseas. These policies offer additional benefits, such as reduced rates for storing the vehicle overseas and coverage for damages that occur during overseas transport.
When choosing a military discount car insurance policy, it is essential to consider the specifics of the coverage, including the amount of liability coverage, the deductibles, and the premiums. It is also essential to understand the policy’s limitations, such as any restrictions on driving outside the country or coverage during deployment. Shopping around and comparing policies from different insurers is advisable to find the best coverage options that meet your specific needs.
How to Get Car Insurance Military Discounts?
For members of the military and veterans, the cost of car insurance can be a significant financial burden. Fortunately, many car insurance providers offer military discounts to help make car insurance more affordable for military personnel.
Here are some tips on getting car insurance military discounts if you are a veteran or a military member –
- Research Insurers – The first step to getting a military discount on car insurance is to research insurers that offer these discounts. While many insurance providers offer discounts to military personnel, the discounts vary in amount and availability. You can search online or ask for guidance from other military personnel or veterans.
- Ask About Car Insurance Military Discounts – Once you have identified potential insurers, contact them to ask about military discounts. Most insurers offer these discounts but may not advertise them on their website. An agent or representative will be able to provide you with details about the discounts and how to apply for them.
- Provide Required Documentation – To qualify for the discount; most insurers will ask you to furnish a government-issued ID or a document verifying that you are part of the armed forces. The specific requirements can differ for every insurer, but most will accept one of the following documents –
- DD-214 Discharge document
- An academy-appointed letter or ROTC contract.
- Active-duty military orders
- Leaving and earning statement
- NGB-22 National Guard discharge
- Check for Additional Benefits – In addition to military car discounts, some insurers offer additional benefits to military personnel, such as reduced rates for storage of vehicles during deployment or coverage for damages that occur during overseas transport. Ensure to learn about any additional benefits that can be obtainable to you.
- Compare Rates – It is essential to check the rates from different insurers before getting to a final decision. While Car insurance military discounts can make one insurer more affordable than another, other factors such as coverage limits, deductibles, and customer service should also be considered.
Why do car insurance companies offer military discounts?
Car insurance companies are known to offer various discounts to their customers. For example, the military discount is a common discount offered to active members of the military, veterans, and their dependents. But have you ever wondered why car insurance companies offer military discounts?
Here are some reasons why –
- Honoring Service to the Country – One of the primary reasons car insurance companies offer military discounts is to show appreciation for the service that military personnel has provided to the country. Military service is an honorable profession that requires a great deal of sacrifice, including time away from loved ones and the risk of injury or even death. Insurance companies can acknowledge and show their gratitude to military personnel by offering military discounts.
- Driving Habits of Military Personnel – The driving habits of military personnel are unique and require special consideration when it comes to insurance coverage. Military members may be deployed for long periods and leave their cars unused, parked, or stored for extended periods. As a result, military personnel may have different driving habits than civilians, which may impact their insurance premiums. Car insurance companies recognize this and may offer special discounts and coverage options to meet the unique needs of military personnel.
- Long-term Customer Loyalty – Offering military discounts is a way for car insurance companies to build long-term customer loyalty. By providing military discounts and other perks, insurers can build strong relationships with military members, veterans, and their families. Once military member finds an insurance company that meets their needs and provides them with affordable coverage, they are more likely to remain a loyal customer over the long term.
- Increased Sales – Offering military discounts can help car insurance companies increase sales. Military personnel and their families represent a large and important customer base, and by offering discounts and special promotions, insurers can attract new customers and retain existing ones. By doing so, car insurance organizations can increase their sales and stay competitive in the marketplace.
Which Companies Offer Military Discounts for Car Insurance?
All drivers, including those in the military, must consider car insurance a crucial expense. Fortunately, several insurance companies offer military discounts to lower coverage costs.
In this section, we will review some of the most popular car insurance companies that offer military discounts and highlight their pros and cons –
Auto-Owners Insurance Company
Auto-Owners Insurance Company is one of the best car insurance providers that offer military discounts. The company provides a wide range of discounts to active military members and veterans, including up to 14% off for paying your annual premium in full. The company’s TrueRide program is also an excellent usage-based option for good drivers looking to reduce their costs. In addition, Auto-Owners Insurance Company is famously known for its excellent customer service, earning an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Nationwide Insurance is another car insurance provider that offers military discounts to active and retired military members. Nationwide provides up to 15% off auto insurance premiums for military service members and their dependents. Nationwide’s SmartRide program can also help good drivers save up to 40% on their insurance premiums based on their driving habits. The company’s pay-per-mile insurance program, SmartMiles, is also an excellent option for drivers who don’t drive frequently.
USAA is an insurance company that serves military service members and their dependents. It offers affordable auto insurance rates to active and retired military members, including discounts of up to 15% on comprehensive coverage. In addition, USAA provides a broad range of coverage options, such as accident forgiveness, replacing a new car, and rideshare insurance coverage. The company is also known for its exceptional customer service, earning a 4.8 out of 5 rating from J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study.
Other companies that offer military discounts for car insurance –
- Armed Forces Insurance (API) – API is an insurance provider similar to USAA, offering policies exclusively to military members. In addition, the organization offers various policies, such as car insurance, to active-duty members, veterans, and their families. So if you are a military member, API may be a good choice.
- Alfa – Alfa is an insurance provider that offers a $500 incentive to active service members and veterans. In addition, this company offers various other discounts and incentives that may interest military members.
- American Family – American Family offers a 15% discount on car insurance policies for all active-duty members, veterans, reserves, and first responders of the U.S. Army, National Guard, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force. So American Family may be a good choice for you if you are a member of one of these groups.
- Arbella – Arbella offers a military discount called the Military Away discount. This discount is available to drivers deployed more than 100 miles from where they have garaged their car. The discount is 10%, which can add significant savings over time.
- Direct Auto – Direct Auto offers up to 25% discounts on key auto insurance coverages to active military members. However, they have to provide their current orders or other such documents. The discount is available only in Louisiana, Florida, and Alabama.
- Direct General – Direct General offers discounts to military service members who are capable of providing a copy of the current orders or any other documents that prove their military status.
- Esurance – Esurance can cancel a policy without penalty for military members called into active duty while deployed. This can be an excellent benefit for military members who may need to deploy at any time.
- Farm Bureau – Kentucky – Farm Bureau offers a discount to drivers from the United States Armed Forces. However, this discount is available only if they take an approved defensive driving course. Unfortunately, this discount is unavailable to individuals who completed the course under a court order.
- Farmers – Farmers offer discounts to military members, such as retired, honorably discharged military members, active reserves, and active-duty members. The company also offers a range of other discounts and incentives that may be of interest to military members.
- Freeway – Freeway offers a military discount to current and former service members. Reserves and National Guard members are also qualified for this discount.
- GEICO – GEICO is an insurance provider offering a range of discounts to military members. The Emergency Deployment discount is one of the best discounts available, offering savings for drivers who are deployed in an emergency. Additionally, military members are eligible for a 15% discount on insurance premiums. GEICO also offers discounts to members of the Armed Forces Benefit Association (AFBA), the Association of the United States Army (AUSA), the Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU), or the Navy League of the United States (NLUS).
- Kemper – Kemper offers a military discount to active military service members and National Guard members. The discount can be an excellent way for military members to keep money on their car insurance policies.
- Liberty Mutual – Liberty Mutual offers a discount on car insurance policies for current, former, or reserved military drivers.
- Shelter – Shelter provides discounts to active military personnel and their dependents living in Louisiana. The discount can be a great way to save money on car insurance policies for military members stationed in Louisiana.
Who Can Obtain Military Discounts for Car Insurance?
Car insurance can be expensive, but military members and their dependents can be qualified for discounts. Car insurance military discounts are provided by different insurance companies. They are typically available to those currently serving, who have served in the past, or who are immediate family members of service members. If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible for a military discount, you can always ask your insurance provider about their requirements.
Currently, enlisted and active-duty members of the armed forces are generally eligible for the discounts. This includes active-duty members of the U.S. Army, National Guard, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force. However, different insurance providers may have different rules on eligibility. For example, some insurers may ask to provide a letter of deployment or an equivalent document to be eligible for discounts.
Retired military members from the U.S. armed forces may also be eligible for this discount. However, the eligibility criteria and options vary between insurers, so it’s important to check with the insurance provider.
U.S. service academy members, advance ROTC, and ROTC scholarships are also eligible for military discounts on car insurance if they provide their academy appointment letter or ROTC contract. Likewise, officers within 24 months of commissioning may be eligible for the military discount. However, they have to furnish the required documents.
Immediate families of military members are generally qualified for military discounts as well. This includes wives, widows, widowers, and children. In addition, some insurers may ask you to furnish proof of your relationship with the service member.
Note that the availability of car insurance military discounts can differ based on the state you live in. In addition, some insurance companies may not offer discounts in certain states, so it’s important to check with your provider to see if a discount is available where you live.
How is car insurance different for veterans?
Car insurance for military veterans can be different from standard car insurance in a few ways.
Firstly, veterans and their families may be eligible for discounted premiums. The amount of these discounts may vary depending on the state and the insurance provider but typically range between 3% to 7%.
Secondly, if a veteran’s car insurance lapses during a period of military deployment, many insurance companies make an exception and do not charge for the lapse in coverage. However, proof of military affiliation and deployment may be required to receive any military or veteran car insurance discounts. Therefore, it is important to expect to provide evidence of deployment corresponding with any lapse in coverage.
Customer Loyalty Discount for Car Insurance
Car insurance is a crucial investment for individuals who own a car. It provides peace of mind and financial protection if an accident occurs. In addition, car insurance companies reward their long-term customers through a loyalty discount.
If you have been with your insurance company for a predetermined period, you will get a discount on your loyalty. In addition, the discount can increase the longer you stay with the company. However, it’s important to remember that just because a company offers a loyalty discount doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the best choice for you.
The availability of loyalty discounts varies based on state and insurer-specific guidelines. For example, some states do not permit insurance companies to rate customers by their customer loyalty. It’s also important to note that some insurance companies do not provide discounts for loyalty if they don’t find merit in them.
It’s also important to be aware that some insurance companies may use loyalty discounts as a price optimization practice. In some cases, the discount from the loyalty program may hide a net rate increase. The method behind this practice involves an algorithm used to measure customers’ perceptiveness to price changes. For example, the longer you are with an insurer, the less you will shop around. As a result, the rates can increase even though you have no accidents, filed claims, and possess good driving records.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to pause Car Insurance for Deployment?
To pause car insurance for deployment, it is advised not to cancel the policy as it may lead to a lapse of coverage. Instead, the insurance company should be called to ask if the policy can be suspended. Depending on the state, some or all car insurance coverage can be suspended for an extended period. It’s also important to check the state’s DMV website to see if an “affidavit of non-use” is required to notify that the vehicle will not be driven for some time. In addition, it’s worth checking if you are eligible for any deployment discounts, such as discounts offered by USAA and Geico for storing the vehicle on-base or being deployed to an emergency zone.
How to reinstate Car Insurance after returning from Deployment?
To reinstate the car insurance after returning from deployment, you need to contact your insurer and ask to reinstate your coverage. You must also keep the car insurance policy number on hand. Additionally, you should contact your state’s DMV to know that your vehicle’s registration is valid and submit any necessary paperwork with the updated insurance information. You should not drive until your information is updated, as driving without valid registration and insurance could result in fines.
How to find the best Military Car Insurance for Veterans and Families?
When looking for the best military car insurance discounts for military members and their dependents, it’s important to determine what you’re looking for in an insurance company. We have covered everything in detail above.
Signup For Our Newsletter