Are you a resident of Iowa and wondering how to get a free government phone iowa?
The US Federal government has launched many government programs to help poor households afford internet and mobile services in almost all states of the country.
Lifeline Assistance is a government-aided program that provides free mobile service to millions of eligible households in Iowa. The other is the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) which provides monthly discounts for broadband Internet service.
These services are provided through many wireless companies participating in the Lifeline and ACP programs. Some providers also offer free mobile phones under these assistance programs to deliver to a low-income family
access to technology.
Please review our post “How to get Free Government Phone Iowa” to learn about eligibility, the application process, and more.
How To Get Free Government Phone Iowa
You can get Free Government Phone Iowa by participating and qualifying for the Iowa Lifeline or ACP program. However, you must meet certain strict eligibility requirements to qualify for these programs.
The entire process of receiving the free phone involves the following steps.
- Find a service provider that offers free phone service under Iowa’s Lifeline and ACP programs.
- Check your eligibility to apply for Lifeline and ACP programs.
- Collect the necessary documents to prove your qualification.
- Apply for the Lifeline or ACP Program for Free Government phone Iowa.
We will be detailing each step in the further sections below.
Eligibility Criteria For Free Government Phone Iowa
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) supervises the Lifeline and ACP programs and has certain eligibility requirements which you must meet to participate in these programs.
The primary conditions include:
- You should be 18 years of age or an emancipated minor.
- You must be a resident of Iowa to apply for the Iowa Lifeline or ACP program.
Once you fulfill these basic requirements, you can check the other program’s eligibility provisions.
There are two requirements for the Lifeline and ACP programs, program-based and income-based. You must meet only one eligibility requirement out of the two.
Both the qualifying criteria are discussed below.
Free Government Phone Iowa Qualifying By Program
One eligibility for Free Government Phone Iowa includes participation in any government support program.
You are qualified for a free phone if you are a beneficiary of any government program listed specifically for Lifeline and ACP programs.
1. To qualify for the Iowa Lifeline Program, you or any family member should participate in any government support program from the following.
- Food Stamps/ Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor’s Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribal Head Start (only families meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Section 8/ Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
2. To qualify for the Iowa ACP Program, you or any family member should participate in one of the programs listed below.
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) / Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- School Lunch or Breakfast programs, including USDA Community Eligibility Provision schools
Free Government Phone Iowa Qualifying by Income
If you do not qualify for Iowa Lifeline and ACP on a program participation basis, you can still qualify for Free Government Phone Iowa on a low-income basis.
Both the programs have different income limits to be eligible for Free Government Phone Iowa through these programs.
1. Income threshold for Lifeline Program
To Qualify for the Iowa Lifeline Program, your annual family income must be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
2. Income threshold for ACP Program
You are eligible for Iowa ACP Program if your annual family income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Documents Required For Free Government Phone In Iowa
Once you learn about your eligibility, you must prove your qualification with specific valid documentation. The documents you need during the application process depending on your eligibility.
Here we have shared an accepted list of documentation based on your eligibility.
1. Income Documents
If you apply for a free phone on a low-income basis, you must furnish a document containing your full name, income status, etc. You may provide any of the following.
- Current Income Statement from the Employer
- Paycheck Stubs
- Divorce Decree
- Previous Year’s State, Federal or Tribal Tax Return
- Child Support Documents
- Unemployment/Workers’ Compensation Benefits Statement
- Statement on Veterans Administration Benefits
- Statement on Social Security Benefits
- Statement on Retirement or Pension Benefits
2. Program Beneficiary Documents
If you qualify as a beneficiary of another government support program, you should furnish a document containing your full name, date of issuance, name of the authority issuing the certificate, etc.
You may submit any of the following documents.
- Government approval letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit award letter
- Benefit verification letter
3. General Documents
Besides the eligibility documents, you should have some general documents to verify your age, identity, and address. You can have any of the following documents.
- Birth Certificate
- US Driver’s licence
- Certificate of US Citizenship or Naturalization
- A valid government, military, state, or Tribal ID
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
- Utility bill
- Certificate of emancipation (if you are an emancipated minor)
How To Apply For Free Government Phone Iowa
The last step in receiving a Free Government Phone Iowa is to submit the application form.
Before you begin your application, you must have scanned copies of your eligibility documents to submit them with your application.
You must first apply to the National Verifier to verify your Iowa Lifeline and ACP Program qualification. Once approved, you can fill up the application for the Lifeline or ACP for Free Government Phone Iowa.
The steps to apply to the National Verifier are as follows.
- You must first open the National Verifier’s official page at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline.
- Click on the “Consumer sign-in” at the top of the screen.
- You can sign in directly with your credentials if you are an old customer.
- Click on “Create your account” if you are a new customer.
- Create your account with the correct information and log in.
- Now, you must select your state by clicking the drop-down icon.
- Select the “IA,” which stands for Iowa, from the list of the states.
- Click on the “Get started” menu.
- The application form opens up for verifying your eligibility.
- Fill up the form with the relevant details.
- Upload the eligibility copies
- Finally, check and submit.
- Wait for the National Verifier to approve your application.
Once you receive the approval notification on your registered email from the National Verifier, you can apply for the Iowa Lifeline and ACP program.
Application for Iowa Lifeline or ACP Program
You can apply for Free Government Phone Iowa by two methods.
- Through service provider
- Via mail
1. Application through the wireless provider
You can apply for a free phone through your preferred service provider.
The steps to do so are as follows.
- The first step is to find a wireless service provider that offers services under the Lifeline and ACP in Iowa.
- Once you find the provider, please contact the company to learn about their application procedure.
- The company agent may ask you for your qualification and approval by the National Verifier since you can proceed with the Lifeline or ACP application only if National Verifier approves you.
- He will explain to you the application process.
- You can visit its official website if your provider allows the online application.
- Get the application form.
- Fill up the form and upload copies of your eligibility documents.
- Finally, submit the application.
Alternatively, you can apply in person by visiting the nearest company’s retail store if your selected provider facilitates offline application.
2. Application via mail
In addition, you can apply for a Free Government Phone Iowa by mail. To do this, you must download and print the application form. You can get the application for the Lifeline program at
For the ACP program form, please visit
Fill out the form and send the form with your eligibility documents to Lifeline Support Center,
PO Box 7081, London, KY 40742.
- How To Get Free Government Phones Georgia
- How to Get Free Government Phone Ohio
- How to Get Free Government Phones Kansas
- How to Get Free Government Phones Colorado
- How to Get Free Government Phone in Washington State
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What top wireless providers offer Lifeline and ACP benefits in Iowa?
Assurance Wireless, Life Wireless, and StraightTalk Wireless offer Lifeline and ACP services in Iowa.
2. Can I apply for the ACP program in Iowa as a Lifeline beneficiary?
Yes. Your Lifeline eligibility qualifies you to apply for the ACP program in Iowa.
3. Can Lifeline be used for the internet?
Lifeline offers broadband Internet service and broadband voice bundles. However, FCC rules limit more than one Lifeline service per family.
4. Can I get Lifeline and ACP benefits together?
Yes. You can receive Lifeline and ACP benefits together if you are eligible.
5. Is Lifeline and EBB the same?
No. Lifeline is an old assistance program providing discounts to home and cell phone services to eligible low-income households. At the same time, EBB is an earlier program that was replaced by the new ACP program.
Subscribe to Email Updates :