Want to know how to activate TracFone without an airtime card? If yes, you have stumbled on the right page.
Tracfone Wireless is an American telecommunications service provider headquartered in Miami, Florida. It is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) that uses the country’s top three wireless networks, including AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.
It provides prepaid service through its airtime and various top brands of smartphones to use with its service. The provider has no contracts, and all its airtime includes talk, texts and data.
When you activate your Tracfone device, you need to purchase Tracfone airtime. However, you can also activate your device without Tracfone airtime.
Please follow our post describing every piece of information needed to achieve Tracfone activation without airtime cards successfully.
So, without further delay, let’s begin.
3 Easy Ways to Activate Your TracFone Without Airtime Card
If you own or have a free government phone from Tracfone but have not purchased an airtime card, you can still activate your device without an airtime card in three different ways listed below.
- Through the website
- Via customer service
- By visiting the Tracfone store
Let’s discuss the steps for each of these methods in detail.
Tracfone Activation through the website
You can activate Tracfone without an Airtime card through the provider’s website.
Here are the steps to do so.
- To Activate TracFone without an Airtime Card, visit Tracfone’s official website at “tracfone.com.”
- Click on the three-line menu bar at the top left corner of the page.
- You may also visit “tracfone.com/activation/selectdevice” to directly reach the provider’s activation page.
- Select the “New Phone” option by clicking on the “Activate” icon below it.
- Now, select “I want a new number” or “I want to keep my number.”
- If you select “I want a new number,” you will be prompted to enter your ZIP code.
- If you select “I want to keep my number,” you must enter your phone number in the provided space.
- Now, you must select the type of SIM you want to use with your device.
- You must select “I want to use the physical SIM card” and “I want to use eSIM.”
- Now, you will be prompted to enter your device IMEI/MEID or serial number.
- You must accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on the “Continue” icon.
- As you do not have airtime, you must skip the “Get plan” option.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Wait for a few minutes until the Tracfone activation is completed.
Please note that we have assumed you possess a Tracfone device that you want to activate. If you wish to bring another phone to Tracfone and activate that, you must choose the activation option accordingly on Tracfone’s official activation page.
You will also need a Tracfone serial number while activating your device through the website. The serial number can be found on the back panel or within the battery compartment. Sometimes, it is also available in the prepaid menu on your Tracfone.
Tracfone Activation through customer service
You can activate Tracfone without an airtime card by calling the provider’s customer support service.
Here are the instructions you can follow.
- Call 1-800-867-7183 to reach the Tracfone customer service team.
- Tell the Tracfone executive that you want to activate your device.
- The customer care executive will ask questions to verify that you are the real owner of the device you wish to activate.
- You will be required to provide the executive with details such as your full name, your phone’s serial number, your SIM card number, etc.
- Once the customer care executive verifies your details, he will help you activate your Tracfone SIM Card and a phone without an Airtime card.
We recommend you keep the essential details like your phone serial number and SIM card number handy before you call Tracfone customer care to initiate the activation process.
Tracfone Activation through visiting stores
Additionally, you can activate Tracfone without an airtime card by visiting your nearest physical stores.
Here are some tips to follow while visiting the Tracfone store to activate your device.
- You can locate a Tracfone store near you at “tracfone.com/find-a-store” by entering your ZIP close.
- It would be best to choose the store near you from the list of stores in your region.
- When you visit a Tracfone store, you must keep some details with you, such as your device’s IMEI number, your SIM card kit, etc.
- You should follow the store agent’s guide to activate your Tracfone device without an airtime card.
How Do You Know Your TracFone is Successfully Activated?
Now, suppose you activate Tracfone without an airtime card. How would you know your Tracfone activation is successful? To find this, you can try placing a call to any family member or friend or can try texting someone.
Likewise, you may try using cellular data to access the free internet you received under the TracFone Affordable Connectivity program. If you can call, text, and use mobile data, your TracFone device has been activated successfully.
How To Activate TracFone Change Device?
Suppose you change your existing carrier and bring your phone to Tracfone. Now, you want to activate the phone you brought to Tracfone while keeping your current phone number. So what could be done in that case?
Fortunately, you can activate your changed device in two ways.
- Through the website
- Via the custom care service
Here you have the details of both methods.
Activation through the website
Please follow the below steps to activate the device you brought to Tracfone through the website.
- Visit Tracfone website
- Log in to your account.
- Select the “Activate/Reactivate phone” option.
- Then, choose “Transfer Number.”
- Select “Activate my Tracfone with a number from another company.”
- Enter the required details.
- Confirm the transfer.
The device change may take up to 14 days. If you cannot activate your changed device using this method, you can try the other method.
Via Tracfone customer service
You can also activate your transferred phone to Tracfone without an airtime card by calling the provider’s customer service at 800-867-7183. You need to call the customer support team and provide them with all the required information to complete the activation.
It is important to note that you will need some information while you activate your changed device on Tracfone. It would be helpful if you could keep these listed details ready before you proceed with the activation.
- Account number, password and PIN
- Your contact information
- Old device number
- TracFone serial number
- SIM card number
- Service provider information
How Do You Add Airtime After Activate Your TracFone
Tracfone offers prepaid services in the form of airtime cards. All its airtime has unlimited carryover for talk, text and data. You can purchase TracFone airtime cards from a variety of places, including online, through its website and its stores.
Once the activation of your Tracfone device without an airtime card is completed, you must add a suitable TracFone airtime card to add minutes, text and data, to your account based on needs.
The provider offers airtime cards with a variety of plans. So you can choose the one that best meets your needs.
Below are steps to add airtime after you activate the Tracfone device.
- Visit TracFone’s official website at “tracfone.com.”
- Log in to your account with your credentials.
- Click on the “Refill/Add” option at the top of the screen.
- Then choose the “Refill your plan” or “Enroll in Auto-Refill” option.
- Enter your phone number.
- Click on the “View Plans” option.
- Now you must choose the most suitable plan as per your needs.
- Pay for your plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I activate Tracfone without an airtime card?
Yes. You can activate Tracfone without an airtime card through the provider’s website or by calling Tracfone customer service.
Can I buy an airtime card from a store and add it through my phone instead of the website?
Yes. You can add your airtime through your phone by calling a number on the back of the airtime card.
Is there an activation fee for TracFone?
No. There is no activation fee for Tracfone. But you need to purchase an airtime card to activate the phone.
How do I manually activate my TracFone?
You can activate your Tracfone through its official website at Tracfone.com. Click on the “Activate” tab and follow the instructions.
Can I activate my new TracFone online?
Yes. You can activate your new Tracfone online at “https://www.tracfone.com/.” Visit the site, click on the “Activate” option and follow the prompts.
Where can I find my Tracfone airtime PIN?
You can find your Tracfone airtime PIN on your Tracfone Service Plan Card. You must scratch the grey strip on the back of your card to get your PIN. Additionally, you can also find your Service Plan PIN on your retail cash register receipt.
How long does it take for Tracfone to activate?
Once you complete the required steps, your Tracfone service gets activated instantly. However, in some areas, the activation may take up to 24 hours.
Signup For Our Newsletter