I am so excited to share about these Dexcom G7 and G6 devices and how you can check compatible phones.
As a fitness freak suffering from diabetes, I needed a device to track my blood sugar level continuously. However, not many devices are available in the market.
But then I got to know Dexcom G7, which tracks your blood sugar level all day so you can keep track, so I decided to try it.
However, when I decided to purchase it, I learned you must have a compatible phone to use this device, as it connects with your smartphone through the Clarity app.
With this article, I will share my experience about how to check Dexcom-compatible phones, the best available models, things to consider, and more.
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
What Is Dexcom G7 And G6?
Dexcom is a medical device manufacturing company headquartered in San Diego, California, that distributes Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) systems for diabetes management.
Dexcom G7 and G6 are the two CGM systems offered by the company. These systems use thin sensors to measure real-time glucose levels in the blood and indicate how blood sugar levels are rising.
Both G6 and G7 work similarly to help diabetic patients monitor their blood sugar levels. The only difference is in their placements.
The G6 sensors can be worn by diabetic patients on the abdomen, upper buttocks, or back of the upper arm during the day, while the G7 is the advanced version of the CGM system that needs doctor help to determine the exact place on the body to wear it.
However, these sensors do not have a display to show the blood sugar level directly. Therefore, it must be connected to another device such as a computer, smartphone, watch, etc., and that’s why customers first need to check if their phones are compatible with Dexcom.
Users usually prefer to connect the Dexcom G7 and G6 systems with their smartphones by using the Dexcom G7 and G6 apps, such as the Clarity app, which is available for both IOS and Android.
The Dexcom G7 app is used with the Dexcom G7 CGM system, and the Dexcom G6 app is used with the Dexcom G6 CGM system.
Hence, to use these G7 and G6 CGM systems and thus apps, you must have a G7 and G6 compatible device that you could use with these apps to access information about your rising or lowering blood sugar levels.
Comparison Table of Dexcom G7 And G6
Before you learn how to check Dexcom compatible phones, here is a comparison table between G7 and G6 to choose the perfect device for tracking blood sugar levels.
|Feature||Dexcom G7||Dexcom G6|
|Sensor size||60% smaller||Similar|
|30 minutes||2 hours|
|Sensor lifespan||10 days||10 days|
|Every 10 days||Every 3 months|
|12 hours||6 hours|
|Accuracy||MARD of 8.2%||MARD of 9.0%|
|Wear Location||Back of upper arm
Upper buttocks (children only 2-6 years)
Upper buttocks (children only 2-17 years)
|Water Proof||Yes, up to 2.4m for 24 hrs||Yes, up to 2.4m for 24 hrs|
|Connectivity||Android and IOS via App||Android and IOS via App|
Does Dexcom Phones Compatible For G7?
The first thing you should know is that Dexcom doesn’t manufacture smartphones. They only manufacture medical devices used to measure blood sugar levels.
However, many iOS and Android smartphones are compatible with Dexcom G7, and even if your smartphone is not compatible with Dexcom G7, you can purchase a Dexcom dedicated G7 receiver.
Things To Consider Before Buying the G7 Compatible Phones
Suppose you don’t have smartphones that could be used with G7 or G6 CGM systems. In that case, you will have to buy Dexcom-compatible phones if you are sure to use these systems to monitor your or someone else blood sugar level.
You can consider these few things before buying a G7 or G6 compatible phone.
The first factor you can consider while you check Dexcom compatible phones is their operating systems, which determine the device’s processing power and compatibility with the G7 or G6 receiver.
For seniors or persons who lightly use their phone, a device with Meditek processors is good to go.
But if you want to connect your G7 or G6 systems to a phone that belongs to heavy users like students, you must look for a device with a Snapdragon 820/821 or the Snapdragon 652 processor.
Your phone’s camera plays little of a role when your device is connected to G7 or G6 CGM systems to monitor blood sugar levels. As a result, you can buy a Dexcom-compatible phone with an optimum or lower-quality camera.
If you are to monitor your blood sugar level throughout the day, you must check Dexcom compatible phones that offer longer battery life, as it is obvious that your phone will be used all day.
Hence, you must select a phone with good battery life. Buying a phone with a battery power of 4000 mAh and above would be best.
You must also consider the storage space on the Dexcom-compatible phone you decide to purchase. You may require the space to save or store the daily reports of your blood sugar levels to show to your doctor.
Hence, it is recommended to buy a phone with expandable storage capacity. Although we will say those reports will not take that much storage, even a smartphone with less storage will be good.
Last but not least, price is always a factor when you have to buy smartphones, as this will decide the number of Dexcom-compatible phones you can buy.
Please compare the prices of your preferred devices and buy the one most suitable for your budget.
We have provided some of the top Dexcom G7 and G6 compatible phones in the further sections to help you get the Dexcom-compatible phones effortlessly.
5 Best Dexcom G7 Compatible Phones – Best Overall
Many companies are designing iOS and Android phones compatible with G7 CGM apps.
Here is the list of 5 best Dexcom G7 compatible phones with their important features.
- Display: 6.1 inches
- Storage: comes in two versions, 6 GB RAM with 128 GB storage and 4GB RAM with 64 GB storage.
- Cameras: 16 MP + 16 MP + 8 MP.
- Battery: Li-Po non-removable battery of 3000 mAh capacity
- Processor: Snapdragon 845
Samsung Galaxy A53
- Display: 6.5-inch AMOLED display
- Storage: 4-8 GB RAM
- Cameras: 64 MP primary camera, a 12 MP ultra-wide lens, a 5MP macro lens, and a 5MP depth camera
- Battery: 5000 mAh Li-ion capacity with a 25W fast charging
- Processor: Exynos 1280
Motorola Moto G Power 5G
- Display: 6.5-inch AMOLED display
- Storage: 6GB RAM
- Cameras: 50 MP+ 2MP + 2 MP
- Battery: 5000 mAh Li-ion capacity with a 25W fast charging
- Processor: MediaTek Dimensity 930 chipset
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
- Display: 6.2-inch AMOLED display
- Storage: 8GB RAM, 128 and 256 GB storage
- Cameras: Triple rear camera of 12 MP + 64 MP, and 12 MP and a selfie camera of 10 MP
- Battery: Non-removable battery capacity of Li-Ion 4000 mAh
- Processor: Exynos 2100
One plus 9 Astral
- Display: 6.5-inch AMOLED display
- Storage: 8GB RAM, 12GB RAM, and 128 GB, 256 GB internal storage
- Cameras: 48 MP main camera, 50 MP ultra-wide camera and 2MP monochrome lens
- Battery: Non-removable battery of Li-Po 4500 mAh capacity
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G
Here, you can check the comparison between Dexcom G7 compatible phones
G Power 5G
Galaxy S21 5G
|One Plus 9 Astral|
|Display||6.1 inches||6.5 inches||6.5 inches||6.2 inches||6.5 inches|
|Storage||6 GB RAM with 128 GB storage
or 4GB RAM
|4-8 GB RAM||6GB RAM||8GB RAM, 128 and 256 GB storage||8GB RAM, 12GB RAM, and 128 GB, 256 GB internal storage|
|Cameras||16 MP + 16 MP + 8 MP||64 MP primary camera, a 12 MP ultra-wide lens, a 5MP macro lens, and a 5MP depth camera||50 MP+ 2MP + 2 MP||Triple rear camera of 12 MP + 64 MP, and 12 MP and a selfie camera of 10 MP||48 MP main camera, 50 MP ultra-wide camera,
and 2MP monochrome lens
|Battery||3000 mAh||5000 mAh||5000 mAh||Non-removable
|Non-removable battery of Li-Po 4500 mAh capacity|
|Processor||Snapdragon 845||Exynos 1280||MediaTek
|Exynos 2100||Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G|
Note: If you need a Dexcom G7 device for free, read our guide on “How to Qualify for Medicaid Program,” as Dexcom offers G7 devices for free under this program.
5 Best Dexcom G6 Compatible Phones – Best Overall
After reading about Dexcom-compatible phones with G7 CGM apps, it is time to check out the best Dexcom G6-compatible phones.
Generally, phones using Android OS 7.0 and iPhones iOS 11.4 are compatible with the Dexcom G6 app.
Here is the list of phones you can use with the G6 app.
Samsung Galaxy S23
- Display: 6.1-inches AMOLED display
- Storage: 8 GB RAM with 128 GB, 256 GB and 512 internal storage
- Camera: triple camera of 50 MP +10 MP +12 MP and selfie camera of 12 MP
- Battery: non-removable, Li-Ion 3900 mAh capacity
- Processor: Snapdragon 8 generation
- Display: 6.1-inch of IPS Capacitive
- Storage: 4GB RAM and 64 GB internal storage
- Camera: rear camera 16 MP + 16 MP and front camera of 8 MP
- Battery: 3000 mAh
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845
Google Pixel 7
- Display: 6.3-inches AMOLED
- Storage: 8 GB RAM with 128 internal storage
- Camera: main camera of 50 MP + 12 MP and selfie camera of 10.8 MP
- Battery: 4355 mAh Li-ion
- Processor: Google sensor G2
Motorola Moto G7
- Display: 6.2-inches
- Storage: 4 GB RAM and 64 GB internal storage
- Camera: The main camera is 12 MP + 5 MP, and the selfie camera is 8 MP
- Battery: 300 mAh Li-Ion, non-removable
- Processor: Snapdragon 632
Huawei P20 Pro
- Display: 6.1-inches OLED
- Storage: 6GB RAM with 64 GB internal and 128GB, 8GB RAM with 256 GB internal storage
- Camera: triple camera of 40 MP + 8 MP + 20 MP and front camera of 24 MP
- Battery: 400 mAh li-po, non-removable
- Processor: Kirin 970
How To Check Dexcom Phone Compatibility
Suppose you have a smartphone and want to know whether it is compatible with Dexcom G7 and G6 apps. In that case, you can check
Dexcom phone compatibility is at the company’s official website.
Dexcom has a compatibility-check webpage on their website, where you can easily check whether any of your phones are compatible with Dexcom apps.
Here are the steps to verify your phone’s compatibility with Dexcom.
- Visit the official website of Dexcom at “dexcom.com/compatibility”.
- You will be redirected to Dexcom’s device compatibility checker page.
- Enter your country by clicking on the drop-down icon.
- Next, select your language.
- Click on the “Confirm” icon below.
- You will see two options:
- Search by device
- Search by Dexcom product.
- Click on the “Search by Device” option if you want to verify your device from another company to be compatible with Dexcom.
- You will be asked to enter your device’s platform. You must choose between Android, iOS, or other.
- Then, select your device’s manufacturer and device’s model.
- If your device’s model is not listed in the drop-down menu, it is incompatible with Dexcom.
- Click on the “Check Compatibility” icon below the page.
What Terms For Bring Own Phones Compatible With Dexcom G6
You can bring your iOS and Android smartphone phones to be used with the Dexcom G6 system. However, you must consider the following terms for bringing your own phones with Dexcom G6.
- You must check that the phones you selected for Dexcom G6 are compatible with the G6 app.
- Next, you must ensure that you have stopped your sensor session on your old phone before you switch to using G6 on the new device.
- You must install the Dexcom G6 app on your new compatible device so that you can use it with the G6 CGM system.
- After the successful setup, you can access your blood sugar history on your new Dexcom-compatible device.
How To Check Dexcom G6 Phone Compatibility
You can check the Dexcom G6 compatible phones list at the Dexcom official website at dexcom.com/compatibility by following the steps above to check your device compatibility with Dexcom’s App.
How To Upgrade To Dexcom G7 From Dexcom G6
Although Dexcom G6 and G7 have almost similar features, many people now want to upgrade to Dexcom G7 for some advanced features.
Following these simple steps, you can upgrade your Dexcom G6 to G7 to experience better App functions.
- First, get a Dexcom G7 prescription from your doctor.
- Once you have the prescription, purchase the Dexcom G7 system from your pharmacy.
- Please take your doctor’s help to place the Dexcom G7 sensor on your body at the correct location.
- Next, download the Dexcom G7 app to your Dexcom-compatible phone, tablet, or computer.
- Create a Dexcom account and follow the onscreen instructions to pair your Dexcom G7 system’s sensor and G7 app.
- Once your sensor is warmed up, you can monitor your blood glucose levels on the Dexcom G7 app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Dexcom compatible with Android?
Yes. Dexcom is compatible with most Android devices. However, you can check your device compatibility with Dexcom at the company’s official website.
Is Dexcom compatible with iPhone?
Yes. Dexcom apps are compatible with most iPhones. But it would be best to check the list of Dexcom compatible phones on the company’s site.
Can I use my phone with the Dexcom G6 app?
You can use your phone with the Dexcom G6 App only if it is compatible with Dexcom.
Can I place the Dexcom G7 sensor on my upper shoulder?
The correct placement of the Dexcom G7 sensor to measure your blood sugar levels depends on your age and many other factors. Hence, you must consult your doctor to learn about the exact location and whether you can fix the G7 sensor on your body.
What if my phone is not compatible with Dexcom G7?
If your phone is incompatible with Dexcom G7, you can get a Dexcom dedicated G7 receiver.
What is Dexcom dedicated G7 receiver?
The Dexcom dedicated G7 receiver is a small device showing your real-time blood glucose level. You can buy it if your smartphone is incompatible with the Dexcom G7.
Can I recieve Dexcom G7 for free If I recieve Medicare?
If you qualify for the Medicare or Medicaid program, you can get a Dexcom G7 for free.
Subscribe to Email Updates :