Latest News - USA - Court Dismissed New York’s Civil Case Against Ivanka Trump

Court Dismissed New York’s Civil Case Against Ivanka Trump

Court Dismissed New York's Civil Case Against Ivanka Trump.

In a recent ruling, a New York court dismissed a general civil case against Ivanka Trump.

Let’s read the news and learn what the court ruled for the case.

Court Dismissed New York’s Civil Case Against Ivanka Trump

A New York appellate court threw down Letitia James’s case against Ivanka Trump, the daughter of former US President Donald Trump, according to a court document submitted on Tuesday.

Last September, Attorney General Letitia James sued Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump, Donald Trump Junior, and their father, Donald Trump, alleging that they and certain Trump Organisation executives, including Allen Weisselberg, former CFO for the Trump Organization, and Jeff McConney, another company executive conspired to alter the value of their family real estate portfolio while pursuing loans or for seeking tax breaks. The lawsuit included $250 million in fraud charges against the Trump family.

In a recent ruling, a New York court dismissed a general civil case against Ivanka Trump.

In James’s complaint, it was claimed that Trump, his family business, and the other defendants had valued the company’s financial statements falsely and misleadingly in order to lower its tax obligations and obtain favorable terms from lenders and insurance companies.

Ivanka Trump’s complaints were dropped by the New York appellate division’s first department, which determined that the statute of limitations had run out since she had left the Trump Organisation by 2016 and that her case had been abandoned.

The court order stated, “The record before us indicates that defendant Ivanka Trump was no longer within the agreement’s definition of Trump Organization by the date the tolling agreement was executed. The allegations against defendant Ivanka Trump do not support any claims accrued after February 6, 2016. Thus, all claims against her should have been dismissed as untimely.”

Christopher Kise, Trump’s attorney, praised the judgement and hailed it as a beginning step towards putting an end to the entire lawsuit that James should not have brought. Ivanka Trump’s attorney, on the other hand, has not responded to the decision.

The lawsuit included $250 million in fraud charges against the Trump family.

Despite the fact that Ivanka Trump was released from being a defendant in the Attorney General action, the court ruled that the case would still go through against the other defendants and that a trial would take place in October.

Following the Tuesday court ruling, a spokesperson for James said,” There is a mountain of evidence that shows Trump and his family business, the Trump Organization, falsely and fraudulently valued multiple assets and misrepresented those values to financial institutions for significant economic gain. Those facts have not changed. The decision allows us to hold him accountable for that fraud, and we intend to do so.”

The Trump family and other accused have denied any unlawful conduct, and the former President, also a Republican frontrunner for the 2024 Presidential race, has said that the state attorney’s lawsuit is politically motivated to defame and distract him from his campaigning for the 2024 Presidential battle.

As for the other defendants, the court denied most of their arguments but stated that the charges against them should be dismissed unless they accrued before July 2014 for the defendants subject to the tolling agreement or otherwise before February 2016 for the other defendants.

The appellate court moved the case to the trial court to determine the full range of defendants bound by the August 2021 tolling agreement if necessary.

ww newsletter

Subscribe to Email Updates :


About the author

Pedro Holland

Pedro Holland is a skilled editor at World-Wire, specializing in technology journalism. With a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and a passion for writing, he excels in simplifying complex tech topics for a broad audience. Pedro’s work, ranging from smartphone trends to advancements in AI and IoT, is known for its clarity and foresight. As an editor, he emphasizes accuracy and relevance, making tech more accessible and engaging. His articles often explore the future of technology, earning acclaim for their depth and insight. Pedro's role at World-Wire makes him a key figure in tech journalism, bridging the gap between complex concepts and everyday understanding.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Hide picture