The following information will assist you in obtaining a free government phone in Illinois. The first requirement is that you must qualify for a low-income program or be a member of one. A service provider must be chosen after you have been approved.
Choosing a phone follows your choice of a provider. You can get a specific type of phone based on your chosen provider. In some cases, only basic phones are available from providers, while in others, smartphones are available. Make sure you ask your chosen provider what types of phones they offer if you have a specific need.
You must activate your phone after choosing it. The provider may require proof of eligibility, a plan choice, and payment of any applicable fees. However, this process varies depending on the provider. It will be easy to get started using your phone as soon as it is activated.
This article covers detailed information about the free Government phone scheme in Illinois, the eligibility criteria, required documents, and more.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
Free Government Phone Illinois
Although the country is in an economic crisis, Illinois has SOME perks. This includes aid through the Federal Government’s Lifeline Program.
Lifeline Assistance can easily be used to apply for any eligible network service provider participating in the free Government phone program, such as American Assistance.
This program allows individuals to prove their eligibility and receive a free Government phone in Illinois and additional perks such as free data, text, and talk time.
Eligibility Criteria for Free Government Phone Illinois
A person is eligible for the free Government Phone Illinois program if they are a participant in any of these Government-aid programs –
- Supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor’s Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Tribal Head Start
Alternatively, you can be eligible for the program if your household income is 135% below the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
If you want to claim income-based eligibility, you must certify the total household income and that of your household members under penalty of perjury (to ensure no false evidence).
You are required to present valid documentation of income, which can be either of the listed below –
- An Unemployment/Workmen’s Compensation statement of benefits
- A paycheck stub or your current income statement from the current employer
- Previous year’s state, tribal, or federal tax return
- A Statement of Benefits of Social Security
- Tribal or federal notice letter of participation in General Assistance
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- A divorce decree, child support, or other official documents
- Retirement/pension statement of benefits
If you claim state or federal program-based eligibility or housing assistance, in this case, you must provide documents of your participation in one of the programs listed above. This depends on the state and the phone company you are applying for.
Application Procedure for Free Government Phone Illinois
- If you are eligible, the first step includes determining which companies provide free cell phones in Illinois. Below, we have provided the best network service provider in Illinois.
- Next, check whether you are eligible for free Government phones in Illinois per the above mentioned eligibility criteria.
- After checking your eligibility, visit the company’s website and click the “Apply” button. This will redirect you to the Application form’s page.
- The application form will require personal information such as your name, date of birth, address, why you qualify, and the last number of your social security number. Fill in the details sincerely and adequately.
- Submit your application and wait for the company to verify your documents. You will receive a notification when it’s done.
Once approved, you will receive your free Government phone in about ten business days.
Companies that offer Free Government Phones in Illinois
Life Wireless is one of the best companies offering eligible Illinois cell phones free to eligible customers. Through its Lifeline plan, eligible customers are offered a free Government smartphone, free monthly minutes, free monthly data, and free unlimited texts.
The plan also allows you to enjoy nationwide free calling, call waiting, caller ID service, free 911 service, and three-way calling, among other features.
Assurance Wireless’s Lifeline plan provides low-income families a free smartphone, free monthly data, text and call minutes, and 10 GB monthly hotspot data. You can get phones from the company like ZTE Quest, Unimax U6383CL, and Wiko Life 2, among others.
If you come from a low-income family or participate in any government assistance program, you can be lucky to get free phones like Samsung S425G, LG221c, and Samsung T330G from Safelink Wireless.
With Safelink Lifeline plans, you can enjoy unlimited calls, text, 25GB high-speed data, and up to 5G hotspot data.
American Assistance is another reliable company that offers free Lifeline phones to eligible Illinois consumers. The company offers free smartphones, unlimited nationwide voice minutes, 4.5 GB of data, and unlimited text messages every month.
Once approved for the American Assistance Lifeline, you can be lucky to get free phones from companies like LG, Nokia, iPhone, Motorola, and Samsung.
Free phone with food stamps in Illinois
A food stamp program may be available to Illinois residents struggling to make ends meet. Food stamp recipients also qualify for free cell phones if they qualify.
A low-income, eligible individual or family can receive food benefits through the Illinois Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Participating stores accept SNAP benefits for food purchases.
Seeds and plants used to grow food can also be purchased with SNAP benefits. The Lifeline program, which provides free cell phone service and minutes on a monthly basis, may also be available if you qualify for SNAP.
The income and resource requirements for SNAP must be met. The Illinois Department of Human Services provides more information about SNAP and how to apply.
Best Free Government Cell Phone 2023 Illinois
It is safest to use SafeLink when it comes to free cell phones from the government of Illinois. Low-income households can receive free cell phones and minutes through SafeLink. Residents of Illinois must meet the program’s income requirements, and they must be citizens or legal residents of the United States. By calling 1-800-SAFELINK or applying online if you meet these criteria, you can participate in the program. Other programs may be available to you if you don’t qualify for SafeLink Free
Illinois also offers the following two programs:
- LifeLine program
- Program of the Emergency Telephone System Board
Certain requirements for participation in the LifeLine program include having an income that does not exceed 135% of the federal poverty level.
Emergency Telephone System Board program
A household income at or below the federal poverty level is one of the requirements for participation in the Emergency Telephone System Board program.
Where can I get a free government phone in Illinois?
The participating providers offer free government cell phones to those who qualify for Lifeline or ACP. These are the providers in Illinois offer lifeline:
If you are looking for a free cell phone provider that offers government phones online, you can do a search.
Subscribe to Email Updates :