SafeLink Government Free Phone – SafeLink Wireless is one of America’s oldest and most popular telecommunications service providers. The company is owned by TracFone Wireless, the largest cellular service provider in the country, serving around 20 million subscribers.
TracFone and thus SafeLink Wireless works in association with the Government and participates in assistance programs like the Lifeline program and Affordable Connectivity Program to provide free or discounted internet services to financially weaker households who cannot afford internet.
This article will provide detailed information on how to get SafeLink Government free phone.
Why does SafeLink offer Free Cell Phone Services?
SafeLink offers free cell phone services to eligible low-income people who qualify for Lifeline and ACP programs. The provider has agreed to participate in these government assistance programs to offer poor people free access to the internet and discounted internet-connecting devices like tablets, smartphones, desktop computers, etc.
With SafeLink Wireless, you can get a free smartphone and a monthly phone plan. However, this free service plan varies from state to state. But generally, the plan includes unlimited text, up to 350 minutes, and up to 4.5 GB of high-speed data monthly data.
Why choose SafeLink Wireless?
There are several reasons to prefer SafeLink Wireless over other careers. SafeLink is recognized for its best coverage amongst other cell phone providers. Their signals are carried on around 30 major carriers towers in the country, and there are over 70,000 SafeLink stores across the United States.
The company offers reliable phone deals and offers both BYOP and free Government phone options. The first option is accessible throughout the United States, but the second is available only in certain states where the government assistance program is operational.
The company also provides discounted benefits like unlimited texts and minutes through these programs.
In addition, SafeLink offers one of the highest monthly data amounts of up to 3 GB. With its incredible benefits and offers, SafeLink is always a preferred carrier.
How to qualify for the SafeLink Wireless Government Lifeline Program
You must qualify for the Lifeline program to get a SafeLink Government free phone.
The prerequisites to participate in Lifeline assistance and ACP program are –
- You must have completed 18 years of age.
- You are a resident of the state where SafeLink offers Lifeline and ACP benefits.
You can qualify for the SafeLink Wireless Government Lifeline Program if you meet any of the two eligibility requirements.
Your household’s annual family income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
If you or any family member holds a participation in one of the government-aided programs listed below –
- Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Veterans Pensions and Survivors Benefit Programs
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribal Head Start (only households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Poor Families (Tribal TANF)
How to qualify for the SafeLink Wireless ACP
SafeLink Wireless also participates in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
The ACP program helps low-income families pay for internet services and internet-connected devices. SafeLink Wireless offers the best government-assisted plan and device through its Lifeline or Lifeline plus ACP deals.
To qualify for the SafeLink Wireless ACP program, you must fulfill one of the eligibility conditions below.
Your annual family income should be below or at 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
You or any family member must participate in any of the government-funded programs below –
- Lifeline Program
- Survivors Benefit Programs
- Veterans Pensions Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, Children (WIC)
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program
- School Breakfast Program, including in the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools
- Your house is ACP-eligible if any member of your family has received a Federal Pell Grant in the recent award year.
What documents are required for the SafeLink Wireless Lifeline Program and ACP?
Once you ensure your eligibility, you must prove it with the help of certain valid official documents that support your qualification.
Depending upon your eligibility, you will need the following documentation –
- If you qualify on a low-income basis, you must submit a document showing your full name, income statement, etc.
Official documents are –
- Current income statement from your employer
- Four consecutive months of pay stubs
- W2 form
- Previous year’s state, federal, or tribal tax return
- Federal or tribal notice of participation in General Assistance
- An Unemployment or Workmen’s
- Compensation statement of benefits
- A Veteran Administration statement of benefits
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A retirement or pension statement of benefits
If you qualify on your program participation basis, you must submit a document specifying your full name, program name, name of the organization issuing the document, date of issue, etc.
Official documents are –
- Government Approval letter
- Benefit award letter
- Statement of benefits
- Benefit verification letter
In addition to your eligibility documents, you may need to verify your age, place of residence, and identity during the application process.
For that, you may submit any of the following –
- US driver’s license
- Birth certificate
- Permanent residence card
- Certificate of US citizenship
- Recent W-2 forms
- A valid government, state, or military ID
- Utility bill
- Certificate of emancipation
Please note that you only need to submit a copy of the eligibility document, not the original one.
How to apply for SafeLink Government Free Phone?
You can apply for a SafeLink Government free phone using two methods –
Application via a provider
Safelink Wireless online application is the simplest way to apply for a free phone.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps –
- Visit https://www.safelinkwireless.com/.
- Enter your ZIP code in the box at the top of the page.
- Click on the Start option.
- You will be redirected to the SafeLink free phone program application form.
- Fill up the form with relevant details.
- Attach your eligibility documents.
- Lastly, click on the Submit option.
You can also apply offline by visiting a local SafeLink Wireless store. Check your eligibility, carry your documents and fill out the application form in person.
Application via Lifeline and ACP Program
You can apply for the SafeLink Lifeline and ACP program by following these simple steps –
- Visit this link – www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Web/www/default/index.html#!/newHome.
- Enter your ZIP code in the box.
- Click on the “Start” option.
- You will be redirected to the SafeLink Lifeline and ACP application form.
- Fill up the application form by entering the correct details.
- Attach your valid eligibility documents.
- Finally, submit your application.
How Can I Activate My SafeLink Free Phone
Activation of the phone is necessary for both a new free phone and a replacement phone to use your provider’s services.
You can activate your SafeLink Government free phone by following these simple steps –
- Open the box of your phone and remove all its contents.
- Connect your phone to the charger and wait until it gets fully charged.
- Find the activation card in your mobile box.
- Follow the instructions on the activation card to activate your new phone. If your phone box does not have an activation card inside it. It means that your phone is already activated.
- Make a call to check if your phone is activated. If you can place a call easily, the line is active, and your new phone is ready to use.
You can contact the SafeLink Wireless customer support service at 800-977-3768 if you face any issues while activating your new SafeLink Government free phone. The company’s agent will help you in no time.
Restrictions for SafeLink Wireless Government Free Phone
SafeLink Government free phones have certain restrictions as follows –
- It applies per family, not per person, to one family, meaning only one household can apply only to a single provider.
- SafeLink Wireless benefits are non-transferable. You cannot transfer them to other households.
- If you are a beneficiary of other Lifeline discounts or phone services, you must cancel it to apply for a SafeLink free phone.
You must furnish real information while applying. If you provide fake details, your application will be canceled.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does receiving a SafeLink Government free phone take?
You can expect to receive your SafeLink Government free phone within 5-10 business days via US registered mail once your application gets approved by the company.
Can I get two SafeLink Government free phones?
No. Lifeline assistance and ACP programs provide SafeLink Government free phones, allowing only one account per household. You can have a free or free landline phone, but not both, as you cannot have two cell phones or landlines per household.
Does SafeLink charge any fee for free phones?
No. SafeLink Lifeline provides a free phone completely free of charge. However, upgrading a free phone will require you to pay a discounted price.
Can I upgrade my SafeLink free phone?
Yes. If you upgrade the SafeLink Wireless services, you will automatically obtain a free phone upgrade. However, upgrading a device does not come free of charge generally.
Subscribe to Email Updates :