Although the iPhone 8 is an old model, getting one for free from the government is still a great option for low-income people like me.
I have heard much about government assistance programs offering low-income people a free smartphone. So I decided to try them myself, and to my surprise, I received a brand new iPhone 8.
So, with this article, let me share my personal experience on how I applied for a free government iPhone 8, its eligibility criteria, required documents, and more.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started.
Does Government Offers Free iPhone 8?
Yes, the U.S. government runs many assistance programs to help low-income people get the technology they need to bridge the digital gaps.
Under these programs, many service providers offer free internet services, and a smartphone includes an iPhone 8.
In the next section, we have provided you with the Top 4 Government programs for iPhone 8.
Top 4 Free Government iPhone 8 Programs
The top Free iPhone Government Phone including iPhone 8 programs, are listed below:
The Federal Communications Commission has been running the Lifeline Assistance program since 1985, intending to give all Americans access to telephone services equally.
It is intended for low-income individuals who need help to afford a cell phone or plan. Qualifying individuals can get wireless service at $9.25 monthly via this program.
In addition, tribal land people can get a monthly discount of $34.95.
Some providers under the Lifeline program also offer smartphones, which include a brand-new iPhone 8, to low-income customers.
Affordable Connectivity Program
ACP is similar to the mobile phone industry’s Lifeline Assistance Program for home internet plans.
ACP can support qualified low-income households with their phone and internet bills. It offers a discount of up to $30 and a $75 (Qualified tribal lands).
In addition, you can also get an ACP discount of $100 to purchase a tablet and other internet-connecting devices such as a laptop or a desktop.
National Lifeline Association
A nonprofit organization called the National Lifeline Association offers low-income households financial aid to help pay for phone service. Also, the company provides a free iPhone 8 government phone offer.
Connect America Fund
A government initiative called the Connect America Fund provides telephone companies in rural areas with financial assistance. The program attempts to lower the cost of phone service for low-income households.
Various options are available to low-income individuals needing assistance with phone service costs. The easiest method to learn if you qualify for an iPhone 8 is to contact one of the above-mentioned programs.
How to Get a Free Government iPhone 8 in 2023
To obtain the Government’s free iPhone 8:
- Ensure that you qualify for the Government’s free iPhone 8 program. To confirm your eligibility, check the nationally recognized website. You may continue with the application procedure if you are qualified. If not, sign in.
- Finding a free government iPhone 8 program provider is the next thing to do. To locate some nearby service providers for this program, you can visit “https://www.lifelinesupport.org/companies-near-me/.”
- Complete the application form with the necessary information on the online application website. You will be asked for documents or proof of your entitlement to a government assistance program to establish your eligibility.
- If your application is accepted, the free iPhone 8 program supplier will advise you of any necessary additional steps. The service provider will look after your new mobile device when everything is finished.
Eligibility For Free iPhone 8
Here are some requirements for obtaining a free iPhone 8 from the Government in 2023.
- You must be older than 18.
- All applicants must be permanent residents of the state you are applying from
- Your annual income must be less than 135% of the federal poverty level.
- You or a family member must be enrolled in one of the Federal Government’s welfare programs, such as SSI, Medicaid, Tribal TANF, or SNAP.
Here are the required documents.
Age & Identification Documents
While submitting an application, you should provide the documents that prove your age and identity.
These documents include
- Birth certificate
- U.S. driver’s license
- Government or State ID
- U.S. military ID
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Permanent Resident Card or Green Card
If applying on an income basis, you should provide the documents that prove your low income below federal poverty guidelines.
These documents include
- Current income statement
- Paycheck stub from employer
- child support award
- Divorce decree
- Retirement/ pension statement of benefits
- Social security statement of benefits
- Unemployment or worker’s compensation statement
- Veteran’s statement of benefits
- Tax Return
Program Participation Documents
If not on income, you can qualify for a free government iPhone 8 on a program participation basis.
These documents include
- Government approval letter
- Program benefit verification letter
- Program benefit award
- Statement of program benefits
How Can I Apply for A Free Government iPhone 8?
Although every program has a different application process, we have mentioned the application process for the Lifeline program as it is one of the oldest and has provided more iPhones to low-income people.
However, the application criteria for Lifeline and ACP are very similar, requiring you to complete an application form on National Verifier.
There are 2 ways through which you can apply for a free government iPhone 8. These are:
- Online Application
- Mail Application
Please follow the steps below to apply for a Lifeline Program and receive a free iPhone 8.
- To apply, Copy and paste this link “https://getinternet.gov/apply?id=nv_home&ln=RW5nbGlzaA%3D%3D”
- Choose your state and click on “Get Started.”
- On the next page, fill out an application form with asked details such as Name, Address, SSN, etc
- Attach scanned copies of your eligibility documents.
- Finally, submit the application and wait for approval.
- Once approved, contact your preferred service provider and enroll in their services.
If you prefer a paper application, please follow the steps below.
- Download and take out the print of the application available at “https://lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf”
- Fill out the application form with the correct details.
- Also, don’t forget to attach copies of your eligibility documents.
- Finally, send the application to
Lifeline Support Center
P.O. Box 9100
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773
Providers offering free Government iPhone 8
Lifeline and ACP service providers usually don’t reveal the exact model of a smartphone you will be receiving. However, we have mentioned some of the best service providers that can offer the iPhone 8 model.
Please click on your preferred service provider to apply for a free government phone.
- Safelink Wireless Free Government Phone
- Access Wireless free phone
- Copper Valley Wireless free phone
- Assist Wireless free phone
- Clear Wireless free phone
- Life Wireless free phone
- Excess Telecom free phone
- Assurance Wireless free government phone
Benefits of Free iPhone 8 Government Phone
Here are the benefits.
- Low-income people can stay connected with their loved ones.
- With an iPhone 8, you have an opportunity to gain more knowledge by using online educational tools.
- You also gain access to emergency services, which can be really beneficial for old people.
- You can also look for available job opportunities.
Specification of free Government iPhone 8
Here is a specification table.
|Display||4.7-inch Retina HD display with IPS technology|
|Resolution||1334 x 750 pixels at 326 ppi|
|Processor||A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture and Neural Engine|
|Storage||64GB, 128GB, or 256GB|
|Rear camera||12MP wide-angle camera with ƒ/1.8 aperture
optical image stabilization, and a six-element lens
|Front Camera||7MP camera with ƒ/2.2 aperture and Retina Flash|
|Video recording||4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps|
|Battery||Up to 13 hours of video playback|
|Operating system||iOS 16|
|Dimensions||138.4 mm x 67.3 mm x 7.3 mm|
When it involves digital activities, a good phone offers numerous advantages. The Government has made it simpler to obtain the finest by giving eligible candidates a free iPhone 8 device.
Can you get an iPhone 8 free from the government?
Yes, the Government runs many assistance programs, such as Lifeline or ACP, to help low-income people access technology through smartphones, including an iPhone 8.
Are there any fees attached to the free government iPhone 8?
Usually, the iPhone 8 is provided for free by the Lifeline or ACP service providers. However, some providers may ask you for additional fees.
What Government initiatives qualify me for a discount on an iPhone 8 purchase?
Various government initiatives provide price reductions on the iPhone 8 purchase. These initiatives include the Lifeline program and the Affordable Connectivity Program ACP.
How Long Will It Take to Get Free Government iPhone 8?
Obtaining an iPhone 8 from the Government may take up to 5 working days. If it takes longer, you can always contact your service provider.
Signup For Our Newsletter