Texas residents who cannot afford a tablet, this article on the Texas Free Tablet Program may benefit them if they want a free tablet from the government.
Texas Free Tablet Program is an initiative by the state government that offers free tablets to residents of the state. All low-income households in Texas can participate in the program to receive free tablets and additional services such as limited data and minutes.
To ensure their goals are met, these programs target families, students, seniors, and those with disabilities. Read all of the steps in the Texas Free Tablet Program application guide if you are wondering How to Apply.
Free government tablets for Texas residents are covered in this guide, along with eligibility requirements, required documents, benefits, and the best service providers.
So, without any further ado, let’s get started –
Texas Free Tablet Program – Step-by-step Guide
The Texas free tablet program is primarily designed to help low-income households, students, seniors, and the disabled.
The sole motive of the program is to help these individuals connect with the internet to take advantage of ever-changing technology to learn new things, stay connected with their loved ones, find great career opportunities, and more.
Currently, for people living in Texas, there are two Texas free tablet programs that they can take advantage of –
Texas Free Tablet Program, aka STAP
STAP, which stands for Specialized Telecommunication Assistance Program, is a free tablet program designed by the Texas state government. The Texas government bears all of the cost of the tablet and other services.
STAP offers free tablets and other electronic devices, such as mobile phones, to eligible individuals. This program primarily helps disabled Texas residents, and for the program, you need to get approval from local authorities.
You must visit any local certifiers’ offices and apply for the STAP. The approval process may take a couple of days to a few months and once approved, a voucher will be issued in your name to a vendor, and a free tablet will be delivered to you within seven days of approval.
Affordable Connectivity Program
Though this program won’t help you get a tablet for free, it can offer a discount of up to $100 when you purchase your first tablet. So, if a tablet costs $110, you will have to co-pay $10, and you will get that tablet.
In addition to that, the best benefit of this program is that it offers you a discount of a flat $30 on your regular broadband services if you belong to a financially weaker background and a flat $75 if you come from tribal lands.
For ACP, you will also have to qualify for the eligibility requirements. Once qualified, you can apply to any local telecom service provider participating in the ACP program to get discounts on your tablet.
Here is the table –
Up to $100 discount on the purchase of a first tablet.
There is a flat $30 discount on regular broadband services for those with low income or a $75 discount for those on tribal lands.
Eligibility Criteria for Texas Free Tablet Program
As mentioned, you must meet certain eligibility criteria to get a Texas free tablet through any of these two programs.
The eligibility criteria for each of these programs are mentioned below –
Eligibility Criteria for STAP
To qualify for STAP, you will have to meet these criteria –
- You must be at least five years old.
- You must be a Texas resident.
- You should be disabled.
Eligibility Criteria for Affordable Connectivity Program
To qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program –
- Your household income must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- You can be eligible for the program if you have received benefits from the Federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- You can be eligible for the program if participating in the National School Lunch or Breakfast Program.
- You can be eligible for ACP if you participate in Federal Assistance programs such as Medicaid, SSI, EBT/SNAP, WIC, etc.
- You can be eligible for the ACP if participating in the Tribal Assistance Program, such as Head Start, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Tribal TANF, or others.
Note that you need to be eligible for only one of these eligibility criteria to enjoy the perks of the Affordable Connectivity Program.
How to apply for Texas Free Tablet Program – Video Guide
Required Documents for Texas Free Tablet Program
Once you are sure you are eligible for these programs, it is time for you to furnish documents that prove your eligibility.
Below, we have covered a list of documents that will be required to apply and get approval for the Texas free tablet program.
|Proof of Income||
Proof of Government Assistance Program Participation
|Proof of Identity||
Note that the service provider may ask you for additional documents to prove your identity.
How to apply for Texas Free Tablet Program
Since two programs can help you get a free tablet in Texas, we have provided step-by-step guides for each program.
Apply for STAP in Texas
To apply for STAP in Texas to get a free tablet, you need to follow these simple steps –
- First of all, ensure that you are eligible for the STAP program. In this article, we have provided the STAP eligibility criteria above that can help you assess your eligibility.
- If you are eligible, make a copy of these documents – Driver’s license, State ID card, utility bill, and voter registration card.
- Now, visit your nearest STAP certifier and get all your documents certified. The certifying officer will check your documents, assess your eligibility, and only then certify your documents.
- After that, you must submit all your documents to the Austin STAP office.
Once submitted, your application will undergo a thorough review, and you will receive the benefits of the STAP program only if your application gets approved.
Note that this entire process may take up to six months, depending on the number of applications, available tablets, tablet suppliers, and more.
Apply for ACP under Texas Free Tablet Program
To apply for ACP under the Texas Free Tablet program, you need to follow these simple steps –
- First of all, visit the Affordable Connectivity Program website at https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/
- Click on the Apply Now button.
- You will be redirected to the National Verifier’s website. Here, you will have to enter all your information, such as your name, email, SSN, and more, and proceed further.
- After that, it will ask you to submit your documents. Upload soft copies of all of your documents.
- After submitting your documents, you instantly get to know whether your application is approved or not. Sometimes, it can take up to 24 hours, so be patient.
- Once you get the approval, you can select any service provider available in Texas, select your plan and tablet, and apply for it.
That’s it. This is how easily you can apply for a Texas free tablet program through ACP. You will get your tablet delivered within 7 to 14 working days.
There you have it – a detailed article covering how to apply for the Texas free tablet program. In this article, we tried to cover everything you need to know to get a free tablet in Texas. We covered all of the available programs, their eligibility criteria, and the application process.
However, if we missed something or if you have any questions, feel free to shoot them in the comment section below. Our team will try to respond ASAP. With that said, here I am wrapping up this article. I hope it was a helpful article.
Subscribe to Email Updates :