Do you know that you can get free Government phones in Virginia? Well, that’s true. The Federal government of the United States has initiated a Lifeline assistance program to help economically distressed households access telecom services and internet devices. The purpose of this program is to ensure that all financially weak families, senior citizens, and the disabled have access to affordable communication.
This article covers detailed information about how you can get a free Government phone in Virginia, eligibility criteria, required documents, and more.
So without further delay, let’s begin –
Does Government offer free phones in Virginia?
Yes. The government offers free phones in Virginia through Lifeline Assistance Program. This program is administered by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC).
Lifeline program offers free phone, internet, and bundled services. You get a $9.25 discount on your monthly phone or internet services if eligible. This discount is $34.25 for Tribal land inhabitants.
The free phone under this program is provided through participating wireless phone companies. Under the Lifeline, participating providers offer free government phones in most states, including Virginia.
Who is eligible for the free Government phones in Virginia?
The prerequisites to qualify for free Government phones in Virginia are as follows –
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a citizen of Virginia.
Anyone meeting the above conditions and fulfilling the program-specific eligibility requirements can get free Government phones in Virginia.
The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) has set certain eligibility criteria for both programs that you must fulfill to qualify for this program –
Your annual family income must be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to qualify, Check Your Eligibility Today for Lifeline Assistance Program.
If you do not fulfill the income criteria, you can still qualify for the Lifeline program by being a beneficiary of another government-support program.
You may be eligible for the Lifeline if you or any household member participate in one of the following assistance programs –
- Medicaid Eligibility
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor’s Benefit
- Food Stamps/ Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribal Head Start (only households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Section 8/ Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Documentation Required to Apply for Free Government Phones Virginia
Merely knowing your eligibility does not qualify you to get free Government phones. You will also have to prove your qualification with the support of some valid government documents at the time of application.
The documents required to submit depend on which eligibility criteria you fall for –
If you apply for free Government phones in Virginia on a low-income basis, you must submit a document showing your full name and income status, meeting the program’s threshold limit. The accepted documents are as follows –
- Current income statement from your employer
- A paycheck stub
- Previous year’s state, federal, or Tribal tax return
- Worker’sWorker’s or Unemployment Compensation statement of benefits
- Child support award
- A social security statement of Benefits
- Divorce decree
If you apply through your program participation basis, you must submit a document showing your full name, the program name of which you are a beneficiary, the date of issuance, and the name of the authority issuing the document, etc.
The accepted official documents are as follows –
- Government approval letter
- Benefit award letter
- Benefit verification letter
- Statement of benefits
Apart from the eligibility documents mentioned above, you may require some general documents to verify your age, identity, and address.
For this, you must have a copy of the following documents –
- Birth Certificate
- U.S. Driver’s license
- A valid state, government, military, or Tribal
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- Certificate of emancipation
- Most recent W-2 or tax return
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship or Naturalization
Please note that you have to submit only one supporting document for your eligibility, and you must submit a copy of the document rather than the original one during the application procedure.
How to apply for Free Government Phones in Virginia
Follow the steps given below to apply for a free Government Lifeline phone in Virginia –
- Visit the Lifeline application page at National Verifier at nv.fcc.gov/lifeline.
- Select the “Consumer sign in” option on the top of the screen. You can sign in with your login credentials if you are an existing customer.
- Select the “Create your account” option if you are a new customer. Create your account with the required details and log in.
- Now, you must choose your state by clicking the drop-down icon. Select the “VA” representing Virginia from the provided list of U.S. states.
- Click on the “Get Started” button.
- You will now see the application form for verifying your qualification. Fill up the application form with the correct information.
- You will be asked to upload copies of your eligibility documents. Upload them.
- Finally, submit the form.
Please wait for the National Verifier’s response regarding your application.
You will be notified via email on your registered email if the National Verifier approves your application. Once you receive the approval, you can apply for the Virginia Lifeline program by following the below guide.
Application for Virginia Lifeline and ACP Program
You can apply for the Lifeline program for free Government phones in Virginia by following these two methods –
You can apply for the program to get a free phone through your preferred service provider in Virginia online.
Please follow the steps below to do so –
- First, find a Lifeline network service provider that participates in Lifeline program in Virginia.
- Once you have the provider, contact them to learn about their application procedure.
- The provider will enquire about your qualification by the National Verifier, as you will be allowed to proceed with the program application only after the National Verifier deems you eligible.
- If your provider allows the online application, you can visit its official site to complete the form.
Alternatively, you can apply in person by visiting the nearest company’scompany’s retail store if your preferred service provider allows the offline application.
Virginia Free Phone Providers
Many carriers offer Lifeline benefits in Virginia. We have listed a few providers offering free Government phones to Lifeline-eligible households in Virginia –
- Assurance Wireless
- Life Wireless
- Assist Wireless
- QLink Wireless
- SafeLink Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- enTouch Wireless
- Infiniti Mobile
- StandUp Wireless
- True Wireless
- Copper Valley Wireless
- FeelSafe Wireless
- TruConnect Wireless
- SafetyNet Wireless
If eligible, you can visit the official website of these providers if you wish to enroll in any of these providers’ Lifeline and ACP benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get a free cell phone in Virginia?
Yes. If you qualify for the Lifeline Program, you can get a free cell phone in Virginia.
What top providers offer free government phones in Virginia?
Virginia’s top free government phone providers are Assurance Wireless, SafeLink Wireless, and enTouch Wireless.
What is the Lifeline program in Virginia?
Lifeline Assistance is a program to provide eligible families with cellphone service at a reduced cost or for free. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) supervise the program.
Subscribe to Email Updates :